Transom is corroded

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnnyKelly said: There are probably 30+ holes of different sizes and a giant hole about 1.5 ft.
And I haven't even started sanding it down.

whoooaaaaaa NELLY !! is that a typo ???? do you actually mean inches and not feet ??
an 18" hole is another issue all together !!!
Like Dale suggests - find out where the corrosion starts and stops.
then - cut out the whole transom panel and hone up on your metalsmithing skills.

no matter how you toast it - it is still going to be a lot of work.
providing you don't discover other "issues" once you start cleaning the rest of the hull.

Johnny said:
JohnnyKelly said: There are probably 30+ holes of different sizes and a giant hole about 1.5 ft.
And I haven't even started sanding it down.

whoooaaaaaa NELLY !! is that a typo ???? do you actually mean inches and not feet ??
an 18" hole is another issue all together !!!
Like Dale suggests - find out where the corrosion starts and stops.
then - cut out the whole transom panel and hone up on your metalsmithing skills.

no matter how you toast it - it is still going to be a lot of work.
providing you don't discover other "issues" once you start cleaning the rest of the hull.

Nope....didn't mean inches. Haha. It was a lot worse than I expected to begin with. Luckily as I have been cleaning it and the rest of the hull it looks like the corrosion is just on the transom panel. The only problems with the rest of the boat are dents and ugly. Haha. Gonna have to replace the transom.

So should I be welding it on like the old one is, or rivet it on? Welding is what was original. Would brazing it on be a possibility? I am new to the tin boat world. Just trying to learn and you certainly have a lot of knowledge in it. Thanks.

Here is a pic of what I am dealing with.

Attachments

• IMG_5948.JPG
    IMG_5948.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 896
Johnny....thanks so much for stopping by today. It was great to get my options from someone that has been there and done that. I appreciate it so much!

my pleasure - no problem at all.
we went to the South Pier and brought home a half dozen mangrove snapper.
threw back about 10 gallons of bait stealers !!!

BTW: this is why I was a little lightheaded and fuzzy visioned while looking at all that CORROSION !!
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43894

Johnny said:
my pleasure - no problem at all.
we went to the South Pier and brought home a half dozen mangrove snapper.
threw back about 10 gallons of bait stealers !!!

BTW: this is why I was a little lightheaded and fuzzy visioned while looking at all that CORROSION !!
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43894

Holy Cow Johnny. That is incredible. So that was just a few months ago. I am blown away. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed anything had you not talked about it. Good on you for healing quickly. And those Mangroves will be tasty too!

So I met up with my buddy who has C & C water jet business. He is gonna digitally cut my new aluminum transom and also build out my new 1.5 inch transom out of aluminum tubing. Should be awesome. Getting it all for about the same cost as wood would have cost me. Awesome!

Latest posts