V bottom jon boat vs flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV1951 said:
Don't know where you are located, but look around on craigslist, fb marketplace, and see if some used one are around. There is no reason to buy new, when there might be some used semi v's in your area. Should be able to save at least half off a new.

I will never buy a boat like this used,especially off craigslist. I have bought and sold well over 100 outboards on Craigslist and I never lie or b.s people,unfortunately most other people on Craigslist are not like me and are not truthful,I've learned the hard way with boats. I will never buy a used aluminum boat off craigslist just because I've had bad luck with them,I've had great luck with outboards, mostly 2 strokes is all I buy and sell because their simple,they need spark,fuel,pumping water and compression and your in there. As far as aluminum boats I've bought they usually end up leaking so I rather buy new so I know every minute that's on that boat,how it was taken care of. Now I may buy a fiberglass one down the line if I find a fairly newer one for a decent price. I just don't trust most people on Craigslist because they lie so much. I never understood lying to people, it's rediculous and really messed up. All my experiences buying engines has been fairly good but buying boat packages not so good. Believe me I look them over real good to but it's hard to see everything until you take it home and then pick it apart and once it goes in the water. So in short,I rather buy any boat new.

So what is the dead rise of the boat you are looking at? Most of these so called V bottoms are pretty flat and only the nose is V, if you keep it trimmed down so that the nose cuts the waves it has a much better ride but, if you run it with the nose up it will pound just like a jon, at least that has been my experience. You can run faster with it trimmed up but smoother with it trimmed down. The 16's are pretty stable you drop down to a 14 and if you like to stand and fish, like I do, then they are pretty darn wobbly, again, that has been my experience.

There are a lot of variables that affect a boat besides the hull, how do you like to fish, standing or sitting, how mush load are you going to be carrying on the boat, what kind of water do you fish, deep lakes and bays or shallow flats and rivers? all these things will effect your choice, I think the boat you have pictured is a good all around boat and you will probably enjoy the heck out of it.

It sounds like you will probably want a deeper V like the boat you showed but it might take more research to find one that isn't as flat at the back to help it cut through waves better. One thing to think about riveted boats, the rivets will wear and eventually could lead to leaks. My cousin had the rivets get worn down from use (mostly in fresh water but some salt water on vacation each year) and that led to leaks. A welded modified V or one of the aluminum "Bay" boats might be the best compromise between stability and smooth ride. A modified V will start to beat you up once you get into boat wakes and chop. I've never had a deeper V style hull so I can't say how rough the ride would be in chop.

scoobeb said:
Crazyboat said:
To the OP, the boat you shared in the link will pound your gums just about as fast as a jon boat will, if you look at the rear of that boat you'll see it's got NO deadrise whatsoever on her, just curved sides.

You can trim the bow down so she will "cut" therough the waves a little but with no weight to her any waves 1' or so will rattle the rivets lose, if not your fillings.

You need deadrise and or weight, you won't have either in that boat.

Best of luck, buy a bigger boat if you want comfort.

So with the boat weight plus 3 full adults and gear I will be over 1000 lbs total weight in the boat,even with all that weight it still wouldn't be a better ride then my 1648 flat bottom jon boat????????
In your opening post you made no mention of 3 adults and being at 1,000 lbs. That added to the equation, it will ride somewhat better as the bow will help cut the waves, but it's still not a lot of weight IMO. My current ride is a Seahunt 186, dry weight is 1,600 lbs, with the family, eng. gear and fuel it must be about 3,000 lbs. Anything over 2' waves you feel pretty hard and that's with a 16 degree deadrise and a 55 degree entry up front.

Not to mention the boat will take a pounding on rough days. IMO it may have some semblance of a better ride but I would not want to be in that boat on rough days. I had a tin as a kid, on rough ones it was slow going or no going.

I think I may just keep what I have or just upgrade to a 1652 or 1852 lowe jon boat if I'm going to get pounded either way. The other thing I may do is get a cc flat bottom skiff or something like that in the future like a Carolina skiff which will beat me to death to so I guess I will have to live with it. I fish really shallow water and I never go past a half mile straight offshore. I stay in the backwater but it still gets rough out there even inshore. The slightest chop beats you to death. Like I said I may just get the huge 1852 jon boat,I really like the size of it or a bigger fiberglass skiff in a tiller or cc rig. I also hate how hot the aluminum boat gets here in fl,you can cook an egg on it in the middle of summer,lol

These are nice big jon boats and need,very little power to move them,a 25hp will make both move really good as I've seen on YouTube.

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/l1852mt-jon/

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/l1652mt-jon/

Both awesome boats and again a 25hp will move both near 30mph which is plenty fast. I may just upgrade to one of these and modify it the way I want,I love the 1852 because from the very first seat I can build a huge front deck with storage under it.

If I was going to buy what I wanted, I would get a Sea Ark 1660mv or if I needed more room, the 1872. Yeah, you'll want some type of flooring to help keep the aluminum away from your skin when it gets hot out in the sun.

I have a white pvc floor in my 1648 and it's the best floor imo you can put in a jon boat that will never ever rot besides,aluminum but the pvc is lifetime warranty so that's nice to. I cut foam in between the ribs and then put pvc board over it. I love it. The biggest issues is the seats get hot as heck,I mean,hot. If I go out early am then stay out all day the boat gets acclimated to the water so it actually is nice and cool even in the summer,it's when I want to go late morning or early afternoon it's just to hot to go.

Like I said I think I'm going with a 16 or 1852 or some type of bigger flat bottom boat I can,modify the heck out of.

I often beach my boats and the flat bottom is very stable when beached on the shore. One can get in and out easy without the boat flopping around. Plus more area thats flat to put stuff. The v will part weeds and debris better though..

scoobeb said:
I have a white pvc floor in my 1648 and it's the best floor imo you can put in a jon boat that will never ever rot besides,aluminum but the pvc is lifetime warranty so that's nice to. I cut foam in between the ribs and then put pvc board over it. I love it. The biggest issues is the seats get hot as heck,I mean,hot. If I go out early am then stay out all day the boat gets acclimated to the water so it actually is nice and cool even in the summer,it's when I want to go late morning or early afternoon it's just to hot to go.

Like I said I think I'm going with a 16 or 1852 or some type of bigger flat bottom boat I can,modify the heck out of.

What is this material (PVC Floor) and where can you get it, please.

Home depot,it's $75 for a sheet,I believe it's 4x8. Best investment I've ever made. It's not slippery when wet,cleans up very easy with most stuff,I use white vinegar and water and it comes out pure white and clean. I've had it near 4yrs now and the sun won't effect it or any outside elements.

I apologize, it went up to $100 a sheet but imo still well worth every penny. Here is the link. It's reversible to,you want to use the rough side for more stability from any slipping which usually won't be an issue anyways,it's great stuff. I used my jig saw to cut it,just take your time cutting it and use a good fine blade. I used sandpaper to smooth any Jagged Edges down. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-HP-3-4-in-x-48-in-x-8-ft-White-Reversible-PVC-Trim-Sheet-H190AWS13/206822526&ved=2ahUKEwiNrLPp6ZXZAhWLuVkKHYwJAvEQFjABegQIExAB&usg=AOvVaw0OHfQweTH7gPQmPtS51ovU

Veranda is Home Depot's house line of composite decking board. This may be considered trim board for composite deck installers and cut to size. Most composite trim board comes 1/2" thickness and is 12" wide by 10' long. This 4x8 sheet looks to be a good alternative. It would probably work well for your decking. Not sure about weight. Specifications do not list weight. Maybe Scoobeb can comment how it compares to plywood.

Sounds like the OP is in the same boat (pun intended) as the rest of us that want a multiple use boat. Thing is no boat does it all, that's why there are so many different types. If I wanted a shallow water boat for really weedy areas I'd go with a wide flat bottom with a fan on it, or maybe a surface motor like a mud motor. If the idea is to put a deck on it to use for a fishing platform I'd go with the widest welded aluminum jon I could get. If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.

eshaw said:
Sounds like the OP is in the same boat (pun intended) as the rest of us that want a multiple use boat. Thing is no boat does it all, that's why there are so many different types. If I wanted a shallow water boat for really weedy areas I'd go with a wide flat bottom with a fan on it, or maybe a surface motor like a mud motor. If the idea is to put a deck on it to use for a fishing platform I'd go with the widest welded aluminum jon I could get. If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.

I've had bad luck with all welded boats cracking to easy,I will never buy an all welded aluminum boat again,I will buy a riveted boat due to it being able to flex. I've never ever had one riveted boat crack,leak yes but very easy fixes around a rivet and that's it.

I'm going to just stick to my 1648 for now and when I get money just upgrade to a 1852 flat bottom lowe Olympic jon boat and a 25hp engine and be happy with that.

eshaw said:
If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.

This may be a stupid question but what do you mean by a coast guard style front?

Latest posts