Schukster 1976 Lund 14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love what you did with the bow section. Any chance you have more pictures of how you did that battery box up front?

I've cut a section running forward of the front bench and have plans to turn it into an anchor locker, but I would really love to put the trolling battery up there too. Right now it is in the middle bench but I have a bait tank there too, and I had to remove a lot of foam.

hbouldin1216 said:
Love what you did with the bow section. Any chance you have more pictures of how you did that battery box up front?

Thanks.

20170517_181957.jpg
The face of the bow shelf comes off after removing a couple of screws. I have a Battery Tender cord attached to the battery posts so I find that I don't need to get into the battery compartment very often. I was always going to find some thumb screws in case I ever needed to get into the compartment while I was on the lake.

20170517_182142.jpg
The area under the bow shelf is just a continuation of the casting platform. I don't have a battery box. I just have some cleats that hold the battery in place. I am a fair weather fisherman on a relatively small inland lake so I haven't experience big waves. I probably should tether the battery down with some web strapping. However, its a pretty snug fit and there isn't a lot of space for it to bounce around.

20170517_182251.jpg
The top bow shelf rests on and is fastened to a pair of cleats that I bolted to the side of the bow. If I had to do it over, I would have the bow shelf a little bit higher so I wouldn't have needed the shim board for my trolling motor mount.

mtntop said:
very nice write up and I liked the attention to detail and clean look!

Thanks for your comment.

Here are a couple of pictures of things that I have added this spring.

I added some flush mount brackets for my Cannon rod holders on the top of the bow shelf. I use an extension post for the one shown on the left to strap my tm shaft to so it doesn't bounce around. The picture shows the storage area under the front casting deck.

20170517_182812.jpg

Below, I also added a hinge lid for the side compartment shown on the left. There isn't a lot of space in that compartment but I found you can never have too many nooks and crannies for storage. I also bought a basket that I attached to a bracket that I made from an old license plate. The bracket slips over the 2x4 horizontal frame and I can move it to either side compartment. I added a second RV electrical panel door on the opposite side. I use that storage area for my fish finder.

20170517_183120.jpg

Something else I added was a mount for a manual shallow water anchor. I used a flag pole holder for the mount and some pvc pipe. I use an 8 foot 3/4 inch fiberglass pole. I have used the anchor on some calm days on our lake and it worked great. I'm not sure how much stress it will handle. It was a fairly cheap project.

20170517_183242.jpg

Nice, clean build!

I was wondering if you happen to remember what brand your seats were? They look pretty nice and would like to look into them for my boat.

Thanks!

DiveLiberty said:
Nice, clean build!

I was wondering if you happen to remember what brand your seats were? They look pretty nice and would like to look into them for my boat.

Thanks!
Thanks for the comment.

They are Tempress NaviStyle high back. They come in various colors. Tempress also has a shorter back style as well. I think they are very comfortable and worth the money.

S

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Wooee I've got an eye for quality I guess. You get what you pay for on boat seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiveLiberty said:
Wooee I've got an eye for quality I guess. You get what you pay for on boat seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[emoji106] I got the solid light grey one as an open box special on Amazon for $80. I liked the quality so I bought the two tone grey at regular price. If you look around you can sometimes find them around $110. Otherwise they are normally around $125 or higher.

I really appreciate the attention to detail in your build and your records of it. Now that I see your inset bow plate, I really like that look more than my bow plate, which is above the gunwales. I also like how you didnt build the startboard side box all the way to the rear bench, give some leg room when running the tiller.

A couple of questions for you.. How is the interior paint holding up? Seeing how yours turned out makes me realize I really need to do my interior paint before completing my build. Do you feel that mounting the battery so high in the bow made the boat more susceptible to listing?

I will likely have more questions for you in the future. Great to see another 14' Lund build.

This will be the 3rd summer that I have used my boat. I haven't had any peeling of the interior paint. As I stated in my post,on the interior I only scraped any loose paint and sanded it smooth and to scruff up the existing paint before I applied a couple thin coats of primer and paint.

As far as the battery location and listing, quite frankly the 9.8 mercury isn't enough hp to really get it up on plane. I have thought about upgrading to a larger motor but can't justify it for how I use the boat. I live on the lake so I usually just troll back to my dock. I could definitely change the battery location if needed.

Also,I usually fish by myself so the extra weight in the bow helps level me out when I'm running the tiller

Schukster

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Looks good. I have a similar trolling motor and the pedal cord reached the rear seat on my 14 ft. I'm hoping it does the same on my 16 ft.

Great work on this build, looks very professional and clean. I like how you incorporated the mid-cut bench seat that remained and turned it into storage, etc.

I am planning to do a 14ft V hull in about a month and was planning to do a similar cutting of the middle bench to help with keeping things tight and sturdy and now after seeing this build and use of that, I think I am going to for sure go a very similar route. Thanks!!

Beautiful build! How much weight did the additions add to the boat? Maybe 200-220 lbs? That's about 1/3 of your overall capacity I'm guessing. #-o

Greg

Thanks for the comment.

I wish I had kept better track of how much weight I added. I found the specs for my boat on the Lund site. The load capacity is 795# which the coasts guard rates for a 5 person capacity. I did an estimate on the linear feet of cedar 2x4 and the 5/8 inch plywood and hardware and came up with about 200 #. The boat is definitely heavier to push around on the trailer and obviously sits a bit lower in the water. Its probably is using up about 1.5 of the 5 person rating. I would have no concerns using it to fish with three adults. The weight of my build is fairly distributed over the length of the boat.

I probably overbuilt it with 2x4 and 5/8 decking but I'm 250+pounds and wanted it to hold me. 2x2 and 1/2 inch decking would probably work for lighter folks. I'm more of a carpenter than a metal worker, otherwise aluminum would probably be lighter yet.

Schukster

How is the paint holding up?
I have the same Lund and am looking to do a tear down and rebuild such as yours. Fantastic work and thank you for all the pictures.

Latest posts