Getting a Jon boat to load straight on trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDUBS said:
I do have to wade out in about 12" to 18" of water to get to the winch (I ain't balancing on a trailer tongue).

That's why I put a walk board on, the older I get the wider the board! :lol:

richg99 said:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ce-smith-company-post-style-boat-guide-ons-2-pack#repChildCatid=13240

Nice. Those are the same I use I believe. 4' height.

overboard said:
LDUBS said:
I do have to wade out in about 12" to 18" of water to get to the winch (I ain't balancing on a trailer tongue).

That's why I put a walk board on, the older I get the wider the board! :lol:

Swing tongue hinge prevented me from doing that on the old trailer. But I like the idea. Might be able to do something with the new trailer. Going to have to be pretty darn wide. Haha.

I only power load when it's windy or there is a current. All other times I throw it out by hand and drag it onto the bunks with the bow line. I have a power winch on my big boat, it's awesome.

Power Winch

I guess the day I made the decision to buy a power winch was when I slipped ...again...on the launch's slime coating. I decided that one more slip and my fishing days might be over (at my advanced age).

Now, I am INSIDE of the boat while the power winch does its job.
So far, I feel lazy but enjoy it.

richg99 said:
Power loading was ..verboten.. on some ramps in Wisconsin.

I watched some older guys go through a lot of wading and contortions trying to get their boats onto their trailers. And that was with NO current, just lakes.

I suppose I would take a fine. 35º-37º water is no wadeable option for me. I do what I must for big smallmouth.

jethro said:
eshaw said:
Loading with a power winch, that's roughing it! :LOL2:

Boat is 2400lbs, it sure is nice, let me tell you.

I'll just bet it is! I couldn't imagine trying to load a boat that size on my lonesome without some sort of help. What kind of boat is it?

eshaw said:
jethro said:
eshaw said:
Loading with a power winch, that's roughing it! :LOL2:

Boat is 2400lbs, it sure is nice, let me tell you.

What kind of boat is it?

It's a tin boat, so it qualifys here! LOL! It's a 2003 Sylvan ProFish 2100.

20180423_090036-L.jpg

20180324_152541-L.jpg

Thinking about the OP about an hour ago! Loaded the boat in a current, little windy, and the ends of the bunks were about 3" out of the water!
Side guides, bunk slicks, and the walk board sure made things a lot easier, even managed to get it centered on the first try!

An update to my original post. I replaced the guide-ons that came with my trailer for ones that were a little taller and I could adjust much closer to the hull. I also added a keel roller underneath, about half way up the trailer. I put the boat in today, caught some white bass in the Illinois River and had very little problems getting the boat back on the trailer. The current at the launch I used today was much slower that where I previously launched but the ramp was shallower. I drove it on, had to back up once to get the front lined up better, and once the rig was pulled out a bit, the boat settled right where it was supposed to be. Thanks for the assistance.
Of course when I got home, I found one of the trailer tie downs was gone and the other just hanging on by one hook. New ratcheting tie downs have been ordered. Even after all these years of boat ownership I am still surprised by all the additional spending even a new boat requires. I know I'm not telling most of you anything you don't already know. :LOL2:

Forgive this post as I don't trailer my boat. I have watched many boats pull into slips with heavy current and maybe you can do this.

If you can install guard rails on the trailer that give maybe 8" of play at the stern end and 2" at the bow/hitch end, you approach from down stream, nudge the bow into the opening from a 45 degree angle, once the bow is in the hole, you gun her up onto the trailer, connect the winch and your done. The rails will guide you on straight and be almost centered each time.

If I sound crazy, well, just look at the name, but that's what I'd do if I wad that much trouble.

Crazyboat said:
Forgive this post as I don't trailer my boat. I have watched many boats pull into slips with heavy current and maybe you can do this.

If you can install guard rails on the trailer that give maybe 8" of play at the stern end and 2" at the bow/hitch end, you approach from down stream, nudge the bow into the opening from a 45 degree angle, once the bow is in the hole, you gun her up onto the trailer, connect the winch and your done. The rails will guide you on straight and be almost centered each time.

If I sound crazy, well, just look at the name, but that's what I'd do if I wad that much trouble.

Except for the guides on the bow end, I had 8" of play on the stern end guides and that was what was giving me all the problems. The current would push the stern up against one of the guides and the strakes on the bottom would not slide over the bunks to let it get centered. Tighter guides on the stern prevent it from getting too far offline. An extra set of guides closer to the bow would probably help too, but I think the center roller guide is doing the same thing.

JL8Jeff said:
I have never tried to drive a boat onto a trailer. I'm so used to walking it out and pushing it past the trailer and then pulling it back in and centering it on the bunks or rollers as I hook up the manual winch strap.

Nice to see someone else do this. I thought I was the only one. I have a long rope, and just push the boat way out and let the current take it. when it's 'almost' square with the trailer, I'll pull the boat in far enough into the trailer that I can hook to the winch. I'm getting ready to make a nice platform on the tongue so I can keep my feet dry. I've used this method for 30 years, and it's never failed me.

captain belly said:
JL8Jeff said:
I have never tried to drive a boat onto a trailer. I'm so used to walking it out and pushing it past the trailer and then pulling it back in and centering it on the bunks or rollers as I hook up the manual winch strap.

Nice to see someone else do this. I thought I was the only one. I have a long rope, and just push the boat way out and let the current take it. when it's 'almost' square with the trailer, I'll pull the boat in far enough into the trailer that I can hook to the winch. I'm getting ready to make a nice platform on the tongue so I can keep my feet dry. I've used this method for 30 years, and it's never failed me.
Yep ,, that,s what I do also, except I do keep some rubber boots in the truck in case I have to step out in the water a bit.

captain belly said:
JL8Jeff said:

To add to this, use a line attached to the stern on the upwind/up river side of the boat held in the hand on that same side. When the boat touches the rear most roller you can then steady it with this rope to keep it straight.

Then you dont even need the rear most roller in much water, then just walk out with the winch rope, hook it on and commence cranking.

If its too cold to wade have a loop on your bow line and or walk the plank to attach the winch line.

I have single handedly retrieved an 18' Chris Craft cabin cruiser (3000lbs) with this method and its so simple after a few tries you'll wonder why you ever did anything else.

captain belly said:
JL8Jeff said:

I have always done it this way as well.

The long rope (about 2 ft. longer than the length of my trailer) is useful for solo launching the boat too. I connect the rope to my boat, lay it loosely rolled on top of the front deck, and connect the other end to my truck hitch. I then just have to back in until it floats and it won't float away.

Latest posts