Tracker Grizzly 1648 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have similar hatch, I just made a hook for the leading edge that goes under the adjacent deck. No moving parts. You lift rear & pull back to remove. It is pretty secure.

I was trying to figure out a good way to strap the hatch down and decided it was just easier to throw the hinge on it. Still have room to get to the batteries and gas tank, so calling it done.

Since I'm trying to keep the boat light, I decided to pull the charger out of the boat. I found these Noco 10' extension cables with waterproof quick connect clips on clearance at my local Menards for $6. I cut them at 18" and connected them to the batteries with terminals. I hung the charger on my wall so I can just plug in the two clips to charge the batteries.

That's about it for now. Time to go fishing!

this might be old, but this is such a clean build.. I want to replicate this as much as I can on my new 1648 griz.

Thanks !!

Appreciate that. If you run into snags or want to know how I did something just ask. I didn't post a ton of detail, but be glad to help.

Where can I buy the hatch that you are using? I have 1448 and would like to extend my front deck. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the front hatch from Cabelas. Quality was way better than I expected. I had the rear hatch made by a guy on this forum (Prowelder i.e. Matt Downs).

I haven't done anything to the boat in a while and the one thing I regret not adding was a recessed trolling motor. Standing on 1 leg all day really takes it's toll on your knee and back. I didn't add during the original build because there were support braces running right up the middle of the boat, but I'm over it and will brace it up as needed. I ordered the R&R Design recessed trolling motor tray from Hodges Marine this week. Total cost was $63 shipped and it arrived in 4 days. You can easily pay twice that much, but not sure why you would. It's aluminum and very well made.

This picture is standing at the front of the boat looking toward the back. If you cut too far back, you will end up cutting the divider for you storage compartment out of the boat. I made a cardboard template for the tray and made a few cuts within the template as I went to make sure I could still adjust toward the front or back if needed. In my head I kept thinking I had to maintain 4" of depth for the pan to clear the floor and was worried about the front of the boat where the bow tapers. In hindsight, I could have moved the tray forward another 3" since the pan is also tapered, so you don't really need to maintain that depth. May seem obvious, but I over looked it.

"

I made most of my cuts an angle grinder. The support braces for the deck are 1 1/2" thick, so I had to finish the cuts with a sawzall. The grinder cuts through like a breeze, but it makes a big mess.

I had to remove a couple inches of foam to get the tray to sit flush. Best way to cut that is a little drywall saw if you have one. I was planning on running a drain hose into the bilge, but clearing a path for the water to drop straight into the bilge will work just as well. There is a small drain hole at the base of the storage divider, so drainage won't be a problem.

The deck feels like it will be solid enough once the recessed tray is in, but I'm going to work on bracing it up so I have some peace of mind that it won't have any flex.

Would a high pedestal butt seat work better or as good? Maybe a slightly better angle. Just thinking of an alternative for others in your situation

The only gripe about the R&R tray are the four holes they pre-drill in the floor of the pan. Found these 1/4" plugs at Lowes. Perfect fit.

I plan on using a stand up pedestal seat. The distance from the seat to the pedal is actually right on. It's the same distance as my Ranger, so should work out well. Only other item I might add is a small cover to the front so I can mount my electronics up.

Hi,
You want those 4 holes open. Water pools up in there from rain, splash, and what-not and will fry the electric components under your foot pedal. I was shown what happens when water does not flow out of the tray.

Jim

Jim said:
Hi,
You want those 4 holes open. Water pools up in there from rain, splash, and what-not and will fry the electric components under your foot pedal. I was shown what happens when water does not flow out of the tray.

Jim
There is a 1" drain hole in the pan to drain any water that accumulates. The other 4 holes are only 1/4", so can't imagine they are for drainage. Is your comment specific to the R&R pan or just in general?

schinkr1 said:
Is there something particular you wanted to see with the trolling motor? Be glad to take a pic from a different angle. I wanted to put a recessed tray in, but there were two braces that ran up the middle and I didn't want to mess with weakening the front deck.

I have a 2005 1648 Grizzly. I believe the foam is waterlogged also, you actually got 150lbs of it out of your boat?

I don't recall if I actually put it on a scale, think I did, but water is very heavy. I was putting the water logged foam into those heavy duty green plastic trash bags and had to keep grabbing new bags so they wouldn't break from the weight. If the foam is water logged, it's adding a lot of unnecessary weight and not providing any safety value.

schinkr1 said:
I don't recall if I actually put it on a scale, think I did, but water is very heavy. I was putting the water logged foam into those heavy duty green plastic trash bags and had to keep grabbing new bags so they wouldn't break from the weight. If the foam is water logged, it's adding a lot of unnecessary weight and not providing any safety value.

What was your trick to get the foam out of them little holes you put in your bench? I cut a 6.5" hole and what a pain getting the foam out.
I got about 30lbs out of left front and not done yet.

IMGP3660 (2).jpg

Man, you are bringing back some bad memories...lol. I ended up using a drywall type hand saw and it wasn't too bad. I just cut small squares maybe 4x4 or so and pulled them out, ripping the back of the square free. It made the least amount of mess and wasn't too bad.

Latest posts