Spinning reel for night shark fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
My son has taken to night fishing for sharks off the southeast Florida beaches with friends. He has been using my International 50 and friends have been taking the lines out (shudder) on surf boards.

He has no skill at casting conventional or baitcasting rigs so I'm thinking on getting him a beefy spinning reel / rod combo for his birthday but I need some advice on a rig. I'd like the largest heaviest capacity and prices seem to be inexpensive for better models so that's where I want to be.

Since I've had abysmal luck with Shimano "better" models lately, I've not considered them so here is the main one I'm thinking of, any help on adding to the list would be appreciated.

Penn Spinfisher V 10500 Mono 415/30 350/40 255/50 Braid 750/50 670/65 580/80

Do a quick search on the web for "Texas Shark Fishing".

You'll find a link to a great Web site forum that has tons of info on the subject. They'll point you in the right direction.

In my case I use a bait cast style reel because of it's large drag washer area. Sharks will test the drag on any reel.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I caught a small leopard shark once by mistake in SF Bay. It was small. Maybe between 24" & 30"'. I really don't know much about them and was kind of leery about handling it. I cut it loose.

Anyway, I was curious. What kind of sharks are you fishing for and what do you guys do when you land a large shark? Is it all catch & release or are they good to keep?

I used to night fish on OBX, NC. We used and use today the Shimano Stradic 4000 with braid and 40-50lb mono shock tippet, two lengths of the rod without barrel swivel, shorten up 3/4 of rod if using a barrel swivel it won't get reeled into the guides, have busted my share of inserts. I can't tie a bimini twist but that sure helps and takes a shorter "tippet."

My night surf rig was a 10-12ft St Criox, they are heavy to hold imo for the price, they make three saltwater surf grades. There is probably a Temple Fork that would be priced right and good warranty, and always the old standby Ugly Sticks, break'em replace'em.

Regardless of the brand, you'll probably want a rod that throws 6oz + bait in the long rod, maybe a bit lighter in the short rod will work. I have a long rod that throws 8 oz + bait, hurts my shoulders too.

Do your son's friends know that sharks eat topwater at night?

FWIW I have yet to see any shark best a bluefin toona in regards to fight, where a shark might at first fight like a tuna, but they have no where near the endurance. But admittedly I’ve not caught a mako on heavy spinning gear; they are reknown for their fight.

But I’ve landed many a tuna on the large Penn 950SS and the Shimano Saragosa series of large spinning reels. Either is well capable of the drag settings needed whilst using superbraid lines, where I usually ran 14-17 pounds of drag. Note you cannot pull braid off the spool with your bare hand at that higher setting, it will pull your skin off ...

Get a good reel and it will last, buy a cheapo rod that is easily replace at Walmart. Or, buy quality with warranty. Doubt you'll get a quality stick for less than $200.

Sometimes Stripers Online site has good used stuff on the members FS board.

If your handy with reel repair buy yourself an old dam quick super, just a normal one no line counter. They haven't been around in forever, but I have three extremely well made, really simple, tough reels. Being old you'll have to buy one used, take it apart clean everything, regrease it, and will most likely be good for another half century. Alantani website is a great forum for fishing reel repair and modifications.

DaleH,
That new Shimano Saragosa 5000 looks to be the same body size as the old Stradic 4000 with a few yards more spool, larger handle and manual bail. I sold a used Stradic 5000 because body size was too big. I'd like to put the Saragosa 5000 next to a 6000 before I purchase.

Tackle Direct just got me up to speed. The new Saragosa 5000 and 6000 reels are almost the same frame size as the older 4000 Stradics. Better metal, sealed bearings, the 5 and 6 have bigger spools but are not inter-changeable. They are both a good bit heavier than the Stradic.

Off topic, was on a pier at OBX, about 7 guys fishing heavy casting reels drum fishing. A wind surfer stormed the pier while his girlfriend filmed. He had many hooks embedded in his wet suit and skin. Everybody got spooled and sprinted to cut their lines. The young guy was either too hurt or humiliated to come north after beaching, but sent his girlfriend back and paid everybody for new braid. Felt bad for him, he learned a hard lesson.

Latest posts