Evinrude 115 vro model

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IADIVER

Reaction score
Not sure on year, but do know it is a VRO model engine. Just wanting to get a feel for what you all think.
Have a guy i know that has the above model engine, been sitting for several years, not sure how many at this point, anyway, he tells me that at full throttle high RPM it starts to miss, first time it did it he replaced the stator, seemed to correct problem for starters, but then shortly there after, started to miss again, he decided to just put a new motor on his boat and put this one in the shed.
He told me he would sell me the motor for $100.00, not a bad price, but kind of scared of the mid issue.
I have not looked at the motor yet, so have no idea what it really looks like our what serial # is.
I guess my question goes to all of you that know a lot more about these motors than I do, what could possibly cause the high speed/RPM miss?
I plan on putting this motor my Lund 5.3 Tyee if I can get it to run properly. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ok Pappy what is the difference between the 60 and 90 degree? Other than 30 degrees lol. Pros, cons on either, which is better? But I believe it is the 90, I have not got it yet due to the fact the guy had surgery and not feeling up to meeting me, going to call him again this week and try to get to visit with him. Thank you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The 90 degree is the original design starting back in 1958 with the "Fat Fifty". It is a cross-flow design.
The 60 degree is a loop charged engine who's design was put in production in 1991 with the V-6 150-175hp engines. I believe the V-4 was put in production around 1995 or so in 90 and 115hp.
Both are great engines if maintained. The Looper is a quieter engine mechanically, smaller in profile, has a great torque curve and is better on fuel.

Time for an update to this post.
Well I was told wrong on the model and HP of this motor. Not that it is a bad thing, the motor is a Johnson 110 #.
I purchased the motor in 2017, and finally got around to getting it on the boat this last month (May, 2018). So I got it mounted on my Lund Tyee and proceeded to dive into the issue of WOT. After some investigating from the previous owner, I found out it was not a miss that was happening, it was actually not getting the last 500 or so RPM's out of the motor, it would just "go flat" as he put it, so with that bit of information I started my research, I knew that I was going to be cleaning carb's and eliminating the VRO system, so I got the carb's off and from my research it sounded like the reed valves my be the culprit.
So I proceeded to remove the intake manifold to inspect the reed valves, upon inspection I found 4 out of the 8 reed valves were not seating. replaced reed valves got carb's all cleaned and motor fired right off.
got boat on the water and runs really good, WOT no problems, boat runs across the water at around 40 MPH whew running great and enjoying the water again.
Happy Boating!!

Latest posts