Bass to salt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plentyoffish

Reaction score
I have I bass tracker and the salt is taking out my carpet. I don't want to go back with carpet. Anyone know what to use instead to protect my plywood from salt water??

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Nautolex marine vinyl - https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=23740

My boat is used in saltwater and is going on 21-years, everytime I think about ‘possibly’ re-doing the vinyl ... I realize it still looks good!

DaleH said:
Thanks! That looks alot like carpet. Have you used it before?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Im working on building a 165 pro team bass tracker into a salt water flats boat. I’ve moved the gas tank to the front, I’m converting it to a center console too and mounting the batteries under it to move the weight load up front. With all of the research I’ve done I’ve decided to do 1/2”
plywood floors coated in urethane then lay down a super wet coat of urethane and apply non skid so it’s bedded and cured in it followed by deck paint. If you go this route make sure you do 5 or 6 coats on the sides of the wood because that’s where most of the moisture is able to soak into the wood.

df88278eb5defd9b2206413be2bcfd0a.jpg
c5be4f758bc33e0df46c053fd46638d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plentyoffish said:
DaleH said:
Thanks! That looks alot like carpet. Have you used it before?
... maybe 40-years of my 50+ years of boating in the salt have had boats w/ marine vinvyl flooring. Out lasts carpet by 3-5X life in years!

I used my old Lund in saltwater only and hated the carpeting. Here in the Lowcountry we have an abundance of pluff mud and between fishing, cast netting for bait and shrimping it seems like half of it deposited itself in my boat. I removed the plywood and pulled the carpeting off. Removed the old glue with a paint stripper and then rough sanded. Painted the plywood with grey Porch and Deck paint from Home Depot. Easy to clean up with a hose and after 3 years just rolled another coat of paint on.

I ordered 4 rolls of hydroturf for my project, just waiting on it to come in. I’ll post pics soon!

In the past I've used Tuff-Coat. It is a rubberized latex paint available from BassPro/Cabelas. Prime the wood according to their directions. It lasted the whole 8 yrs that I had my Invader I-16 and it was primarily a saltwater boat. On my current tin I used Interlux's non skid paint. Seems durable but not as grippy as Tuff-Coat.

the foam anti fatigue floor matting they sell at rural king works pretty well in place of hydro turf if your on a budget. Buddy has had it in his big 2060 flat bottom jon for two years now gets used a lot fishing the summer, and duck hunting in the winter. I was skeptical of it when he first put it down, but it is holding up just fine.

Latest posts