New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After lurking on this forum for some time now, I finally decided to join up. I've found an amazing amount of information just reading through everything. A while back I had casually mentioned to an older friend of mine that I was sort of considering getting a small boat, nothing fancy, just something decent to fish out of. I retired from the Air Force a few years ago and find myself with lots of free time, so I've gotten back into fishing and the outdoors in general. I was wandering around a boat dealership looking things over waiting for him to get a part needed for an outboard. The response I got was "don't waste your money, I've got one you can have if you want it". He and his wife, both in their late 60's are getting close to full retirement and are somewhat downsizing. In his words, "I'm getting older and I've decided it's time to start giving stuff away".

What I ended up with is a 14" 1973 Alumacraft v-hull with a slightly used vintage 1965 Evinrude 5hp outboard. A new impeller, fuel pump and everything else checked out, she runs like a champ. She fires on first pull and wide open throttle is a white-knuckle ride at 8mph. :LOL2:

So there's my story. Glad to be here among this seemingly friendly bunch of knowledgeable and friendly folks!

Jim

Greetings all -

New member from northern Delaware, working on making a 14' Duranautic into my dream fishing machine.

Goal is to have a pond/small lake fishing machine with the option of venturing out into some saltwater bays for crabbing, blues/stripers.

Seems like I have found a place with a vast resource of knowledge to help me along.

Looking forward to trading thoughts, ideas and stories with you all.

Cheers,

Neil

Howdy y’all new here experienced fisherman that has been on hiatus for about 5 yrs getting my son thru college I have been fishing since I was in the womb in 1959 lol I live on the oldest resivouire in Texas Medina Lake that held the Texas state largemouth record for over 40 yrs be fore Florida’s were introduced. Lol I am in the process of restoring my 01 bass cat panthers classic. In the meantime I just bought a 14 foot AlumaCraft and I am working on a couple of motor angles. I have some plans for the little tin boat but I want to keep it simple I am looking forward to getting back on the water been away too long

Hi!
New ish to powered boating though I've canoed and kayaked all my life. My dad got a 12' Harbercraft for a steal a few years ago and we fixed it up and traded/repaired a few motors till we had a 15 hp Chrysler running great on it. It worked well, though wanted something that could handle an extra person to two and a bit heavier conditions so were in the market to upgrade a bit. Last week I traded the 12' for a 14' MirroCraft and have been very happy. The 15 does very well, but the MirroCraft is rated for 25 so working on a bigger motor. I found a 93 Johnson 20 and after reading the extensive Johnson 20/30 conversion thread, I'm looking for the parts to make the upgrade. I'm located in Central Alberta, Canada and mostly exploring the local lakes and rivers. Seems like a pretty solid community here, hopefully I can help out as I've already learned a lot.

Steve

Hi, my name is Otter and I'm a boat addict. Which is why I couldn't resist finally giving in and buying a new version of the boats I've been looking at for thirty years. So I'm the lucky new owner of a Weldcraft Rebel 202.

I've been in and around boats since the day I was born. Nothing makes me happier than skimming atop the water and I've been doing that in just about every form over the years. Grew up on a glas ski boat, moved on to canoes, kayaks and rowboats, had a couple of sailboats and once, my favorite, a C-Dory 22 Cruiser. I still row and kayak whenever I can.

But we have a little place on the river and I kept thinking those folks in the aluminum boats seemed to really have it figured out. No gel coat to scratch up, not a bunch of fancy stuff inside or outside to worry about, and a nice top to deal with our PNW weather. Sold the trailer, sold the sailboat and finally stopped into the dealer I'd been driving by all these years. I am one happy camper (boater!) and wake up every day realizing how fortunate I feel. I could retire but instead work part time to afford my addiction. I'm also a part-time nature photographer and wow! it's a lot easier to lug your gear around on one of these than it is on my kayak. :LOL2: I can set my tripod up on the deck and I'm in heaven on earth.

So nice to meet you folks. Thanks for all the good info for a tinboat-newbie.

Jay here from Ontario Canada.
Love the site.
So much to learn.

Attachments

• ZLUBB689E101.jpg
    ZLUBB689E101.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3,750
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. What side battery should I get for a 12 v55 lb thrust trolling motor

How long the battery will last on a charge. Is up to your needs in a fishing trip. I know people that have no issues the a group 24. And people that’s need a group 31. Back when I had 12v trolling motors. I had no issue using a group 27.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey gang!! found this site when I was looking to do a minor repair to my boat. great site!! Tid bit on myself, Im a self employed poultry farmer along side my son and my wife. We own a cottage on the Montreal river in North Eastern Ontario,Canada. Whenever we get the chance Im up there fishin for Walleye.Pike and Bass. Mostly Pike and Walleye. I have been boat owner for many years (17ft) smokercraft tiller. I recently acquired a boat Ive been looking at for over 20 years. A bachelor that lives not to far from me has had 16ft side console 1995 Lund Pike DLX sitting in his garage that he use to used twice a year. I finally got enough nerve to see if he would like to part with it.(He has had some health issues for 10years) We haggled out a good price that we where both happy with. This boat is in show room condition. I recently traded off the motor on a brand spankin new Yammie 60hp with precision trolling feature. I absolutely love this rig, it cruises up and down our river with a top speed of approx. 34mph. im not a speed freak by any means but it sure is nice if the weather is going grey. Rumour has it Santa is bringing me a 7in Simrad and 24V trolling motor.
Tight Lines!! 8)

Reformed fiberglass boat owner (20' CC) from days gone by. Miss not having a boat and looking to go back to an aluminum boat for fishing smaller bodies of water and possibly crabbing some skinny water. I'll ask a ton of questions along the way. Any/All help is greatly appreciated. Also looking for friends/fishing buddies in the York/Lancaster/Harrisburg area. Love to meet up and check out your rig and swap stories. Look forward to making new friends/acquaintances. Calm seas & tight lines!

Attachments

• IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,076
greenberg21 said:
Reformed fiberglass boat owner (20' CC) from days gone by. Miss not having a boat and looking to go back to an aluminum boat for fishing smaller bodies of water and possibly crabbing some skinny water. I'll ask a ton of questions along the way. Any/All help is greatly appreciated. Also looking for friends/fishing buddies in the York/Lancaster/Harrisburg area. Love to meet up and check out your rig and swap stories. Look forward to making new friends/acquaintances. Calm seas & tight lines!

Fiberglass! Just Say NO! Haha

I migrated from larger, heavier glass boats to a tin boat for reasons similar to the one you give. I wanted to get back out on the water but in something that was a little easier to handle and without having to worry too much about a little dock rash here and there. Though I have to admit I feel a little guilty when I see some of the spit and polish a lot of TB members apply to their rigs.

Anyway most important -- welcome to TinBoats.net.

Hey everyone, just joined up and looks like a good bunch of people from the post I have read.I am semi-retired and live in Mt. Shasta CA. I have 4 aluminum boats and a 11’ Boston Whaler that I just finished restoring. I flyfish a lot and was going to use the Whaler for my one man and a dog boat. It’s a fun boat, but has no storage to speak of so I will be selling it. My other boats are 8’, 10’, & 14’ Valco pram/ flat bottom boats. I am wanting to fix up the 14’ for a trip this summer to BC and fish the Kamloops and Caribou areas. Just posted for info on the best paint to use on these “thin” tin boats as the metal does seem to flex. I will be running a 15 HP Suzuki 4 stroke on the boat and. A Minn Kota with IPilot up front. The boat is a bare hull that I need to fab a flat bow extension for the quick release plate for the trolling motor.
I also love my 93’ Fish Rite w/ a Yamaha 115 Jet drive. I enjoy working on the boats in my shop when not fishing, but I will need advice here and there as the project progresses. I will be looking at other flat bottoms photos for inspiration on setting mine up for me and my dog.

Attachments

• 839A2021-14F4-4B35-9312-6FEE45D79920.jpeg
    839A2021-14F4-4B35-9312-6FEE45D79920.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,907
Hey. New here. I'm from upstate New York in the Utica/Rome area. I am 71 YO. male, Navy Vet, retired. I purchased a new 2018 Tracker 1648SC in camo with a Merc 40hp 4 stroke this past summer. I previously had an 1986 Glastron bow rider (actually still have it). The transom rotted out along with every other piece of wood is the reason for not using it. I caught a lot of fish out of it though. Now that the family is no longer a factor I decided to downsize. Glad I did. So far I really like the Tracker. Easy to tow and launch by myself. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 34 MPH on the GPS. I have over 45 years boating experience, have done most all of my own troubleshooting and repairs including electrical, engine mechanical, and overall maintenance. Anyhow glad to be here and hope to be an active forum member. :D

1700rider said:
Hey. New here. I'm from upstate New York in the Utica/Rome area. I am 71 YO. male, Navy Vet, retired. I purchased a new 2018 Tracker 1648SC in camo with a Merc 40hp 4 stroke this past summer. I previously had an 1986 Glastron bow rider (actually still have it). The transom rotted out along with every other piece of wood is the reason for not using it. I caught a lot of fish out of it though. Now that the family is no longer a factor I decided to downsize. Glad I did. So far I really like the Tracker. Easy to tow and launch by myself. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 34 MPH on the GPS. I have over 45 years boating experience, have done most all of my own troubleshooting and repairs including electrical, engine mechanical, and overall maintenance. Anyhow glad to be here and hope to be an active forum member. :D

Congrats on the new boat!

Newish member.... been lurking and reading for several months. I live in beautiful St Augustine, Florida. I have a 1232 older tinny (no idea on make) with a 2004 8hp Honda 4 stroke that runs and looks new. Been slowly adding to boat that I bought with winnings from my NCCA tourney bracket last year (paid $600). Boat came with a great running, rebuilt 1964 3.9hp Mercury. Ran fine but it was a 20" shaft and not good for the oyster beds I frequent. Bought the Honda (short shaft) a month or so ago for $600, sold the Merc for $250. As soon as I found out that the Honda had a charging system, I started working on lights, wiring and switch panel. Hope to have all that finished this weekend.
Really just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. I have used a lot of what I learned from here already.
Only questions I have are: Do I deck? How much foam do I need? And where should my AV plate be in relation to my transom? Hahahahah... Just Kidding!

Mercury 3.9.jpg

New (to me) motor

Attachments

• BF8A14.jpg
    BF8A14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,841
  • BF8A17.jpg
    BF8A17.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,841

Latest posts