Anybody ride mx/sx?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Any of yall on here ride ?

I got rid of my old ktm250 alooong time ago and kept the old beater 4wheeler for trails

I got a good deal on a 99 rm250 last month so I jumped on it. It's taking awile to get my balls back but I'm slowly getting there.
What yall ride? I've got a few questions if anybody here rides mx

Nice lookin old rm. I race quads. Honda trx 250r and honda 400ex. Also have a 2000 yamaha 426f it's a screamer.

i sold my 99 RM250 couple years back & got an '06 YZ450, i don't miss mixing gas 1 bit, i also get way better fuel mileage, what used to tank a full tank, now takes about 1/3 of a tank or less. been way too long since i've been riding, bout that time of year tho!

chevyrulz said:
i sold my 99 RM250 couple years back & got an '06 YZ450, i don't miss mixing gas 1 bit, i also get way better fuel mileage, what used to tank a full tank, now takes about 1/3 of a tank or less. been way too long since i've been riding, bout that time of year tho!
I've had a few opportunities to ride some dirtybikes. Only time I really do it now is on the ice with studded tires!

sold my YZ & got a KTM EXC 450, only difference is 6th gear, electric start, & the license plate :mrgreen:
450.jpg

Tried it in the past....not for me.

I moved at one point, had to get out of the city-life. Found a place to rent, which was adjacent to an old landfill. I had a YZ125 and a WR200, loved both of them but rode the WR FAR more than the 125, mainly because when I lived in town, there was no place to ride a dirt bike...but the WR would "pass" for a dual purpose. Anyway, someone pushed up a half hearted attempt at a MX track on one corner of the old dump. Wasn't too bad but it was a TOUGH course, everything was real tight, rarely ever got out of 2nd gear. One of the guys who was frequenting and taking care of it was a well-known (at least in this are) MX'er who I knew as "boner". Yes that was his nickname, and I was afraid to ask why. Anyway, he was pretty good and went on to run a factory bike out west. Many times we'd be out at the track, I on my little YZ and him on his RM250. Many times he'd comment after a moto that I outta try getting on a factory team. I didn't want to. I was into drag racing and the moto-x stuff was just for fun. 'Course I sure can't do much bike riding now with back problems but it was fun for a while!

What was interesting was that the little WR200 was nearly as quick around that tight track as the YZ125 was and the WR is more of a trail bike. It had the power but the suspension and transmission were where it was really hurting. 'Course after tens of thousands of miles trail riding it (literally...it had an odometer that read out to 9999 then rolled over to zero's, and I turned it over a bunch of times) it finally gave up the ghost, seized the crank, I didn't want to put any money into it and gave it to a buddy for free. He wanted a bike and I had one, and he had the ability and motivation to fix it.

In '99 I bought a used brand new (guy bought it new and seized the engine, I bought it a month and 6 days after he bought it brand new at the dealer) YZ400. Hard to start that beast. I got it going and liked the bike, trail rode it quite a bit. Some buddies and I were riding from the house to the dump to watch the fireworks which involved riding down a street for about 1/4 mile, then turning off onto a trail. I was last in line. I remember getting hit, then laying on a windshield of a car trying to grab hold of whatever I could to hold on, found the wipers and held on for dear life. As it came to a slowdown in a curve, I climbed off and rolled through the ditch a couple times. Never saw the car again but I still remember the license plate number. If I ever find out who it was...anyway Bike was destroyed, but thanks to a helmet, I was mostly fine, although my back has never fully recovered. That was mostly my last full time riding, other than some ATV trail riding which I miss but it's now only a memory.

In 2001 my neighbor gave me a Yamaha RD400, broken crankshaft. Crank not available from Yamaha so I had to send it off to have repaired in Florida. I got it going, and liked the bike. It was fun, but one day on the way to work it started vibrating and then lost all power. Zero compression on left cylinder, 130 on the right. Piston not moving on left. Gave the bike away because I wasn't about to put another $700 into the engine. Wish I'd have kept it.

So many DB stories, too little time!

A couple that came to mind:

In college, I went to explore the trail at the end of our trailer park ( with my Hodaka). Good thing i was in 1st gear, as all of a sudden I was pulled off the bike.

There was a single string of barbed wire stretched chest-high across the trail.

Had I been going much faster, I would have bled out from slit throat before anybody found me.

Another (relating a hard-to-start yammie) Is that I was going to ride my brother's 360 single-lunger. He warned me to keep my foot down when pushing kick starter thru. Well, I was scared of it, rightly so, as it caught my foot & kicked back really hard. Well, I tried again ,same result, & then i spent the next week on crutches with a badly bruised ankle.

Latest posts