A 'floor' or a trailer? What would you do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griz

Reaction score
I have a Topper 1542 without a trailer. A trailer isn't necessary because the boat is hoisted from the lake on a cradle originally used for the previous owners' jet skis. I want to add a casting deck to the front of the boat, but it's hard to work on it since the boat is over water. There's a dock on either side of the hoist, so I think my options are this:

Buy a trailer (like a normal person) so I can take the boat onshore and walk around it to do the work. This would cost ~$700 at a minimum for the poorly reviewed one from Academy and I'd not likely need a trailer once the mod is complete.

Or

Lift the cradle high enough to build a floor underneath that would span between the dock on either side. It's probably 10' across so 12' 2" x 8" would suffice as joists with OSB or plywood as decking. This would support the boat an allow me to walk around it. This would cost ~$200 at a minimum and I'd likely not need the 'floor' once the mod is complete, so I'd just remove it and repurpose the wood.

One option seems to be way cheaper, but way weirder. What would you do?

Also, is there such a thing as renting a trailer? I don't know anyone who could loan me one.

Or drag it up the bank and slide it in the back of a truck. Also a boat will sit on any flat bed trailer that you can beg borrow or steal.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Or drag it up the bank and slide it in the back of a truck. Also a boat will sit on any flat bed trailer that you can beg borrow or steal.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The bank is bulkheaded, and with the outboard it's too heavy to drag. I could winch it out but I'd struggle to get it back in safely.

bcbouy said:
a few round fence posts on the ground as rollers,haul it out.

Excellent Idea. I have moved storage sheds and shipping containers by rolling them on pipe before.

--- OR ---​

build a quick and cheap wheeled dolly and pull it up the ramp. Position the dolly correctly (and build it to the right height) and you can use it to support the middle of the boat while you slide it into your pickup truck.

--- OR ---​

find a used trailer on craigslist. They seem to go for around $400 for one in good condition in the size you'll need. Just be careful that you get the proper paperwork for your state to be able to register it for the road. Lots of used trailers available without paperwork.

You can rent a flatbed uhaul trailer for next to nothing.

Buy a come along (Home depot or simlar) & winch it onto the trailer. then tow it home.

Better yet just buy a cheap boat trailer winch at Wallys & tie it to the trailer any way you can.

Guys, the boat and motor are >300 lbs. I'm not lifting it on anything. At least, I'm not lifting it myself. Also the bulk head is 1.5-2' above the water so i don't have a bank to roll it out.

I appreciate the suggestions though.

Buy a cheap one on craigslist and sell when you are done. Don't even get it registered in you name.

I see trailers for rent on CL all the time.
Put your own add on CL looking to use, borrow or rent a trailer.
Put your location on your profile maybe there is a Tinboats member near by that can loan you their trailer.

The Roller idea can also be done with the thick walled PVC pipe . We watched the neighbors move a very large and heavy hot tub using the PVC pipes without any breaking .

bcbouy said:
a couple 2x10 planks will work for a ramp up that bank.you can power load up it no problem.it's just like loading onto a trailer.

Do you think the single, front handle could take that kind of force? (especially with the weight of an outboard on the back?)

You can get a 12V ATV winch for about $75 that will pull it straight up. Just need a solid post to anchor it to.

Idea: do the work with the boat in the water and give us all periodic updates of what's fallen overboard. This is the most entertaining choice (for us, not you).

hc803 said:
Idea: do the work with the boat in the water and give us all periodic updates of what's fallen overboard. This is the most entertaining choice (for us, not you).

I have considered this as well. Let me just attach floaties to all my tools....and I've dropped them all.

Griz, I have a trailer that that might work for you if interested. I’m about 2 hours from you? It’s not pretty but is tagged and road ready.

6B765752-5024-4092-A51D-F19136F0E0D7.jpeg

FishinFitz said:
Griz, I have a trailer that that might work for you if interested. I’m about 2 hours from you? It’s not pretty but is tagged and road ready.

I'm down in Houston a lot so you're not so far away. It looks like it'd work to me. Are you thinking sale, rent, or borrow?

Latest posts