Transom pitting on Lowe deep v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tloc1000 said:
I've got the same problem. Do you use brazing rods to fill in the holes once cleaned out? That's want I was planning to do.
I wouldn’t bother, fill with thickened epoxy product, but then you’ll need to repaint the transom.

Yea I plan on just jb welding the damage to the aluminum, and then epoxying over it. I figure I'll put a layer of epoxy on the inside of the aluminum too, where the wood goes.

Sooo any tips on how to lift the old wood out ? I got all the bolts and screws out that hold it in, but that bugger doesn't wanna budge

I drilled pilot holes in to the top of the transom and used very long eye bolts chained to a 4x4. My brother and I lifted up on the 4x4 while my nephews held down the boat.

In what situations would you consider using a product like Seacast, instead of taking out the old wood and replacing with epoxy sealed new wood?

You need to remove the inner skin so that you can clean it thoroughly using a wire wheel. If you don't "fix" the corrosion, it will just come back.
All aluminum surfaces that were in contact with the wood need to be cleaned using a wire wheel and detergent and phosphoric acid, then sealed with primer or epoxy coated.

I don't plan on actually removing the skin to clean it up. Everything is riveted in and it's not worth me ripping that all apart. I'm gonna clean it as good as I can with leaving it all together, then epoxy the crap outta it and slide in the new wood. If that lasts me another 5 years I'll be happy as a clam !

uttexas said:
In what situations would you consider using a product like Seacast, instead of taking out the old wood and replacing with epoxy sealed new wood?
Carbon Core is exponentially better than Seacast and is the product that I used, but either is 2-3X the price of epoxied wood. I only went with it to form a totally 'wood free' transom. But I don't see it replacing wood as the transom coring in tin boats.

Update. Got the old wood out, cleaned up the aluminum and filled the holes with JB weld and got the new transom cut and glued together. Now just gotta get the new wood covered in epoxy and I should be good to go ! Thanks for all the help guys

Attachments

• IMG_20190324_102454.jpg
    IMG_20190324_102454.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,012
What grade plywood did you use?
Epoxy is best for sealing the transom second would be old timers formula.

I just used good quality 3/4 inch bcx exterior grade plywood. Glued together to make 1.5 inches and then I will be covering the whole thing in epoxy to seal it

Finally got the last thing I needed to finish up this transom rebuild. Time to get her epoxied up and put back together this weekend

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_200008.jpg
    IMG_20190330_200008.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 499
Transom project is finished ! Thank you everyone for all the help and tips.

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_145933_464.jpg
    IMG_20190410_145933_464.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_20190410_145933_463.jpg
    IMG_20190410_145933_463.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 452

Latest posts