A 'floor' or a trailer? What would you do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Fitz's trailer isn't going to work. I still appreciate the chance to use it though. Thanks Fitz.

I just thought "maybe I should measure things first" and it looks like the boat will be 3 feet longer than the trailer. Given that it's the transom with an outboard sitting out past the bunks, that's a little too far I think. Aren't the bunks supposed to be at least to the back of the boat typically?

Since I am old and slow, it would take me some time to get the deck installed.

That being the case, and assuming that you have someplace to put the boat to work on it...could you #1 run the boat to the nearest ramp. #2 position some rollers (see above) and your truck at the ramp. #3 have a couple of 2x6's at the truck to help you get the boat onto the truck. Some large, brawny types of helpers would be good.

Back truck in; position the 2x6's; tie them together or nail a couple of 2x4';s to hold them in place; drive boat up as far as it will go; use the suggested come-along and rollers to move the boat all of the way up into the truck's bed.

Take her to the work place and slide her down the 2x6s and work there. When done, reverse the procedure.

a post here, and maybe on a local fishing network might net you a trailer to use for a few hours, free of charge.

Obviously, it is easier said than done. I've done a lot of work at boat ramps, usually on my trailers.

Also, Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive, put-it-together yourself boat trailer.

I've got the standard, 6 foot bed which is maybe 8 tops with the tailgate down. The 1542 would hang out 7 feet. I don't know if I can make that work even if it does go in outboard-first so the weight is closer to the cab.

Maybe I can fasten some longer bunks to Fitz's trailer. I think I'll look in to that...

Clearly, a trailer, any trailer, would be the easiest solution. Longer bunks would be fine for a short while, while you work on the rig.

If the bunks don't fully support the transom, then, over time, you could develop a "hook". But, you said that the boat is hung on straps most of the time, so a tempory trailer should do the trick.

Griz, thanks for the burger, it was great to meet you. If you need to mod that trailer to make it work go for it. Maybe replace those covered 1x4 with longer sturdier bunks. Cover the bunks with gutter downspouts like Richg99 has described before.

My understanding the key is weight distribution, too much weight behind the axles and the trailer might fish tail. Has happen to me with a Boy Scout equipment trailer, not fun. There’s no that much weight to these boats, the majority of the weight is the motor. Might consider trailering with the motor off the transom?

If I can do anything to help let me know.

Latest posts