Old crystialized gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
Old crusty gas in the bottom of a steel OMC tank. Anyone know of a good way to clean it out. Its gummy and kind of soft. Tried to leave a mix of fresh gas and oil mix in it over the winter and that seemed to soften it a bit but still stuck in a lot of it. Tank is in good shape other than that as in no rust inside or out. Is there something that would dissolve it? Thinking a can of Sea Foam or maybe some of that stuff used to soak carb in?

I have had some luck with vinegar and water. Dump a jug of vinegar in and shake around or turn the tank periodically. Fill rest with water and let it sit. Take it to a carwash one town over at night and blast the heck out of it. Lol. Lacquer thinner eats the stuff good but will also take the paint off the outside. Last one I did was vinegar and carwash, then I put an inline fuel filter right off the tank.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas! Ended up using the pressure washer. Took the fuelcap off one end of the old metal tank and gauge off other end and it worked great.

Latest posts