Is the 2nd Gen Terrova really THAT bad?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thedude said:
MrGiggles said:
From what I gather, there are three generations of Ipilot on the Terrova.

1st gen was actually pretty good. Mine seems to stay within a 10ft circle on spot lock. It's a little unrefined and glitchy at times, but for the most part works well.

The 2nd gen was quite a bit worse from what I understand, or at least not improved. I believe this is when they released Ipilot link, around 2016 IIRC.

Third gen was released just recently, where they added the heading sensor and bluetooth. These are the best of the best.

The price seems a little high to me. I just bought a used Terrova 80 with Ipilot for 500.
Thanks. I just confirmed it is around a 2010 model and doesn't have bluetooth so I'm going to pass. Additoanl reading leads me to believe that bluetooth is the key to the accuracy and has to do with how often the GPS updates. I think I will just save my money and worst case get a new powerdrive model with I pilot and bluetooth for $1100 at Academy. I'm not married to the foot pedal and almost would prefer the extra deck space.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I couldn't do without the foot pedal at one time I had a remote controlled motorguide which swore me off from motorguide. I didn't have a foot pedal for it was such a pain trying to work my way along a bank or use it to slow my drift down stream and try to cast at the same time. I know have minnkota powerdrive v2 and I won't put the ipilot on it cause I don't want to lose the foot pedal. I have the copilot remote so I can control it with the remote if I'm not on the deck at the foot pedal which is nice. It would be great have gps functions, but I'm still too cheap to get a new motor. I just can't bring myself to pay the money for one of the newer terrovas or ultrex to have the pedal and gps.

The best deals I have seen to include the foot pedal are $1300 for the terrova 55 lb or the motorguide xi3 for $1240. I think for some it depends on what fish finder they are using. Otherwise sounds like Ford or Chevy to me!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I guess my experience with a motorguide wasn't good. Hole motor head fell off the shaft while in warranty, happened over a weekend I redneck engineered it back together to salvage the fishing trip I was on. They fought me on the warranty cause I rednecked it back together. They did finally repair it under warranty, about another 1.5-2 years later same thing happens head loosened up while fishing water got in the motor ruined it. At this points its out of warranty I ended up buying a nearly new used minnkota power drive v2 I added the copilot to. I've been really happy with it so far. I guess I'll be waiting a while before I get a new troller I just can't stomach over a grand for a new one.

well hopefully the terrova 2nd gens with the ipilot link aren't too bad, I wasn't really looking but have half hazardly been keeping my eyes open for a 24v motor for a little more power in current. Well I came by one near where my mom lives for got the guy down to $650 didn't seem like a bad deal 24v 80lb thrust terrova with ipilot link and foot pedal in good shape. I guess we'll see hopefully it isn't an expensive paper weight.

Well, i bit the bullet and ordered the motorguide Xi3 with pinpoint GPS. i like the ability to add the foot pedal later if want to. For now, i plan to try it with only the remote (packing extra batteries now!).

i came across a closeout deal on the xi3 52lb 12v model from cabelas for $799 with free shipping. no doubt it will be a big upgrade from the MK Edge 45 lb my tracker came with. based on the used prices i was seeing, i'll sleep better with the warranty in my back pocket.

will report back!

Latest posts