alumacraft fd, paint and i have a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwar822

Reaction score
i searched and searched but i still am not sure what to get...

i know i need self etching primer for the aluminum boat. after that i dont know what paint to get... total boat has paint but not the colors i want, im looking for a nice blue ish turquoise green ish color to paint my old fd alumacraft.

does anyone know what brand paint hasa decent color range? i looked up total boat and they only have hunting camo and plain colors. i checked out west marine and they have the colors i like but its confusing.. west marine website has a paint called awlgrip and 3 different kinds and i dont know if its even what im looking for or some kind of anti slip paint...

im confused someone please give me some brands and sites i can check out. just needs to be able to go on aluminum and over a self etchign primer..
its a 14 foot vhull so i want to roll and brush the paint on not spray.

like this color or somthing similar

Rustoleum works well rolling and brushing. I didn't go check the site but I think they have a similar color. You can mix hardener with rustoleum and it comes out nice on a budget. I have both sprayed and rolled and honestly, the rolled looked just as good.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Both rustoleum
55376058ec73454ea3c0d7a9d009068e.jpg

Rustoleum oil based enamel. I just used the regular Rustoleum oil based, I know they have a premium professional brand also
For the color you want, I’d try mixing 3 parts blue to 2 parts aluminum. If it’s not green enough, slowly add Rustoleum oil based green until you get the color you like

thanks everyone for the reply! i will go to ace hardware and get them to mix me up a color, rustoleum brand.

im actually going to do a light sanding and like 3 coats, with the last coat sanded with high grit and polished.

this boat is going to look so awesome... it will be unique.. polished bow deck, nice color, polished gunwales

i got white oak at a wood working shop, oh yeah i cant wait to post pics of the whole thing and show the end result

The jalopy journal and H.A.M.B are good sources of threads on painting with rustoleum. Some of those guys have done amazing jobs rolling and tipping then finishing like you plan to.

With Rustoleum oil based enamel rolling and tipping; I had good results thinning 14oz of paint with 1oz of mineral spirits and adding 0.5oz of hardener per 14oz paint

This video shows good technique for rolling Rustoleum
I don’t agree with his clear coat last step—would wet sand with 3000 grit and polish instead if you want that kind of finish
https://youtu.be/_qPJTTRWttQ

If you use the hardener and you should, don't breath the fumes get yourself a good respirator.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
If you use the hardener and you should, don't breath the fumes get yourself a good respirator.

it took me like 10 hours to strip the **** antislip paint with sand that was put in 1955... who knows whats in that... yeah the fumes from the paint stripper was horrible i def will use a filtered mask, i used one just tol strip the anti slip... \\

i decided to not be lazy and remove the bench seats... allot of hard work and precision but its done

now everything will come easy... painting and all that cant wait to show the end results

No need to remove all the old paint. Just give it a light sanding.
I re-did my 14 ft semi-vee too. I used Rustoleum bare metal primer letting it dry in the hot florida sun between coats and then painted it with Rustoleum paint. I used a brush and roller too and it turned out fine. 3 years and no problems.

Attachments

• 20170126_092326.jpg
    20170126_092326.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,518
1960 yellowboat said:
No need to remove all the old paint. Just give it a light sanding.
I re-did my 14 ft semi-vee too. I used Rustoleum bare metal primer letting it dry in the hot florida sun between coats and then painted it with Rustoleum paint. I used a brush and roller too and it turned out fine. 3 years and no problems.

wow what a beautiful boat! i love the yellow color
so after i use the right self etching metal primer, i can use any rusto oil based enamel?

because i relaly want to have a unique color, or atleast not the average blue, green, white, camo, grey colors

some progress pics

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 1,484
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,484
  • vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,484
Yes, Rust oleum is the way to go. You can spend more but you won't do any better, in my opinion. And yes, I painted it yellow. Camo and flat green is boring as are many other traditional boat colors. When people go to the lake, they'll see dozens of white, blue, and grey boats but only ONE yellow!
How about red?

I used Epifanes mono-urethane. Great color selection and great tech support. 6" foam roller. Very tough. Grizzly Tohatsu 20.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
After the self etching primer use Rustoleum clean metal primer.

im saw that in the store, its used after you put the self etching primer on right? im curious as to what difference it makes, ill google it lol

also i ehrd SEM self etching primer is good too, only because i can buy it in a quart or gallon, im not sure if home depo has rustoleum in quarts i have to check

You only need a light coat of the self etching primer a couple of spray cans will do. Whatever top coat I'm using I will use primer by the same company they were engineered to work together. Rustoleum's self etching primer, primer and topcoat.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You only need a light coat of the self etching primer a couple of spray cans will do. Whatever top coat I'm using I will use primer by the same company they were engineered to work together. Rustoleum's self etching primer, primer and topcoat.

thanks

i found the paint i want to use for the boat, its the teal color here
https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Krypton-Bottom-Bright-Gallon/dp/B00J2YWE40/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=aluminum%2Bboat%2Bpaint&qid=1559774986&s=gateway&sr=8-30&th=1&psc=1

now im confused about this total boat primer its not self etching ...
ill show the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X197WTM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

so i need to buy this? https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Aluminum-Boat-Etch-Quart/dp/B01N9O8SXA/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2/147-0283641-4031523?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N9O8SXA&pd_rd_r=c1312843-87e7-11e9-98c5-a75be1f66a0b&pd_rd_w=hZ3WP&pd_rd_wg=WkIEh&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=M2KHR1MZ2CN96GQ39J49&psc=1&refRID=M2KHR1MZ2CN96GQ39J49

their total boat self etch wash before i use the primer ? its not self etching all in one but its still good ?

i guess i cant show links what a pain in the ***..

basically its :TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash (Quart)
then TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat
TotalBoat Krypton Bottom Paint i want teal

i have OCD and im very particular about doing everything to perfection.. which is a strength and a weakness i sapose.

i want to make sure these 3 things in order will be ok.. im sure it is but i dont want to mess up... i was going to go with rustoleum spray cans, buy the self etching primer in the spray can then buy w/e color i want but that makes me nervous for some reason. i think its because spray canning can create imperfections from user error or inexperience while the tipping and rolling will be more user friendly and minimize paint inperfections.

maybe i should use the spray can on the bench seats , then paint them and see how that goes before i decide... i dont know why im having a hard time deciding what to do

If I understand you correctly you can use Rustoleum spray cans of self etching primer and quart or gallon cans of primer and top coat. Roll and tip is a great way to get a smooth paint job.

Latest posts