alumacraft fd, paint and i have a question

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
gwar822

Post by gwar822 » 25 May 2019, 13:50

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:
20 May 2019, 22:52
After the self etching primer use Rustoleum clean metal primer.
im saw that in the store, its used after you put the self etching primer on right? im curious as to what difference it makes, ill google it lol

also i ehrd SEM self etching primer is good too, only because i can buy it in a quart or gallon, im not sure if home depo has rustoleum in quarts i have to check

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls » 25 May 2019, 16:03

You only need a light coat of the self etching primer a couple of spray cans will do. Whatever top coat I'm using I will use primer by the same company they were engineered to work together. Rustoleum's self etching primer, primer and topcoat.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

gwar822

Post by gwar822 » 25 May 2019, 20:58

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:
25 May 2019, 16:03
You only need a light coat of the self etching primer a couple of spray cans will do. Whatever top coat I'm using I will use primer by the same company they were engineered to work together. Rustoleum's self etching primer, primer and topcoat.
thanks

gwar822

Post by gwar822 » 05 Jun 2019, 19:16

i found the paint i want to use for the boat, its the teal color here

now im confused about this total boat primer its not self etching ...
ill show the link

so i need to buy this?

their total boat self etch wash before i use the primer ? its not self etching all in one but its still good ?

i guess i cant show links what a pain in the ass..

basically its :TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash (Quart)
then TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat
TotalBoat Krypton Bottom Paint i want teal

i have OCD and im very particular about doing everything to perfection.. which is a strength and a weakness i sapose.

i want to make sure these 3 things in order will be ok.. im sure it is but i dont want to mess up... i was going to go with rustoleum spray cans, buy the self etching primer in the spray can then buy w/e color i want but that makes me nervous for some reason. i think its because spray canning can create imperfections from user error or inexperience while the tipping and rolling will be more user friendly and minimize paint inperfections.

maybe i should use the spray can on the bench seats , then paint them and see how that goes before i decide... i dont know why im having a hard time deciding what to do

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls » 05 Jun 2019, 23:05

If I understand you correctly you can use Rustoleum spray cans of self etching primer and quart or gallon cans of primer and top coat. Roll and tip is a great way to get a smooth paint job.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP