87 Bass Tracker MV 16 rebuild and upgrade.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have decided to use these decks temporarily. Plan to replace them later with composite decking. No matter how much you try they will eventualy rot again.

Done with carpet. Hatches are done except for hinges and pull straps. Parts are on back order at the moment for the engine so the maiden voyage is on hold for now.

Need to order hinges and latches, some pole holders and finish the rod storage. Wire power to the Helix 5 si. And install the breaker on the trolling motor. But thats pretty much it for this build.

Attachments

• 1561512183101-686913215.jpg
    1561512183101-686913215.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,011
  • 1561512220234-348762064.jpg
    1561512220234-348762064.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,011
Check out my build from 7 years ago, should be on the top of the forum, exact same boat. Good work man, looks great!

Kochy said:
Check out my build from 7 years ago, should be on the top of the forum, exact same boat. Good work man, looks great!

Thanks man. Now I got the cooling system sorted, just need the carb to stop flooding. Will take a look at your build when I get off work.

Removed and cleaned the needle seat assembly. Replaced the brass sealing washer under the seat. No more flooding. Seems ready to go. Will try to get the lower unit oil changed tomorrow after work. Then its hopefully time for the maiden voyage.

Trailer lights are giving me fits. Ran a new harness and have power at the bulb. Ground reads good. Install bulb and voltage drops to 0. Got new bulbs today just to eliminate the possibility of it being bulbs. Next thing to try is all new grounds.

Trailer lights sorted. It was a bulb. Filament was good however the base had several cracks and it was not carrying current.
On another note. Had 48hrs strait and 5.5hrs OT so I was finally able to go buy the next project. It's an 86 Starcraft BASSV170. Need to go over to my cousins and put one of the boats I am scrapping on blocks so I can use the tires to bring this one home. It will be the first project in my newly rented 40x40 shop. 20190703_144914.jpg
Amazingly it seems to have a solid transom. I will of course thoroughly inspect it. Most likely will replace it with composite and if I get my way it will get composite decks as well.

Looks like to do all decks, subfloor, and transom in Coosa Bluewater 26 it will cost about $1700 not including carpet or nonskid if I go that route. However this time I have time and want to build a true floating business card. So it needs to be done rite.

Well my attempt to get the Basstraker in the water went great till we got 10 min from the ramp. Almost got run over by all the out of state guys running for cover from the lightning storm. Attempt to wait it out was a bust. Will try again this weekend.

Finally! Got it on the water. No leaks. All systems function as planned. I have to replace the float in the carb to get the motor running rite. It is still sticking. Runs good untill the float sticks. Two things I learned today.
1) I need LOTS of practice to learn to use the trolling motor effectively.
2) Wind REALLY blows this boat around lol.
All in all I'm pretty happy. It floats and handles good.
I may need a prop as even when the float was not sticking and it was running good and smooth it never got above 4500 RPM. May need to try a different trim angle. No hydraulic trim so have to just change it and see.

Latest posts