New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and second cast I made from this little boat....

Attachments

• First Red.jpg
    First Red.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,083
Good evening everyone - just wanted to introduce myself - first name is Kyle - but I go by medburd. Just got into the tin boat realm last year and I'm digging the flexibility of the craft. A little history of my past boating experience, started with a 9' sit in kayak - realized the flexibility of the kayak and being able to get into any water I wanted and loved the stealthy approach. I found myself getting into the ocean more and more so I went ahead and jumped into a 20' CC which I absolutely loved - but it ate up a lot of time & money using it and maintaining over the 4 years I had it. I really hated getting rid of it but it went to a good home and lightened the wallet drain so I got back into the kayak scene with a really nice sit on top kayak and have been fishing that ever since. That kayak is now 13 yrs old and has a lot of fishy memories (1 in particular was being dragged around for 25 min by what I thought was a shark in Boston Harbor one night just after midnight - about a mile later into the sleigh ride I found myself face to face with a massive grey atlantic seal who took my 4lb bluefish for its meal, I got the story and the seal got the fish and we both went our ways). So last year I found a 12' sea nymph with a trailer and a 9.9hp evinrude that me and a buddy bought into for $500 - needed nothing, ran great - we brought it out to his vac home in RI so it has found it's home there - this winter we decided the 12' was just a bit small for the island needs so we invested in another tin - this one I found sitting in a gravel pit on a trailer with no motor. I offered the guy a $100 - he took it. Now this 14' Starcraft Seafarer had seen better days and was neglected sitting right side up uncovered for years. New England winters can be tough with the temp ranges and so this hull needed some love & attention. We have replaced about 70 rivets and plan on making it a side console with remote steering and controls. The hull is rated to 30hp and so I found an 85 30hp Johnson that will power it...controls included for a whopping $150. The goal for this boat is to completely restore it and make it our own. And so that is what brings me to this forum - I have poked around the interwebs and found this site to have a lot of useful information and informative folks alike. I'll start a thread at some point to show start to finish what we put into it and share some of my experiences with this project.
Now that was a winded greeting.... :mrgreen:

Hi, Lee here from Lantana FL. Came across the site, looking for ideas for my 1436 Tracker. Looks like I found the right place.
17a56945a99abf320771d8360ad895bb.jpg

Hi al,
Just brought home a ‘56 Crestliner Commodore 14 open. This site had great info during the evaluation process, thanks. Looking forward to the restoration.

Me? 60, Ohio (transitioning to retirement in Tennessee), looking forward to less work and more fishing.
—Steve

Attachments

• B1A6E70E-6B35-463A-9FC1-47056E078983.jpeg
    B1A6E70E-6B35-463A-9FC1-47056E078983.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,688
New member here.

I live in Northern Ohio and fish Lake Erie mainly in the Western Basin. I have a 2019 Lund 1625 Tiller Adventure being prepped and should get it in a week or 10 days.

I retired December 1 last year. My wife and I have a camper on a permanent site in Marblehead, Ohio which will be the base from where I'll fish and boat. I've been away from fishing for about 5 seasons and can't wait to jump back in to the action for Walleye and Perch.

Howdy from Southern Indiana.
Just turned 47, been bass fishing most of my life. I’ve had several glass bass boats, couple aluminum boats and few kayaks. Working on getting back into the metal boats by purchasing a Tracker grizzly 1648 with a 25 tiller for fishing small lakes, trolling motor lakes, idle areas, etc...
Hope to learn some good tips and tricks for outfitting my up and coming tin boat.

Thanks

Hi folks...buzzbait here... I just bought my third
tin boat...a 2019 grizzly 1648 SC with 40hp Merc. Actually waiting on delivery as it's being rigged right now! I fish the chickahominy river and lake here in so.eastern VA. I prefer the lake though...tidal rivers are tough on me. I bumped into this website recently and it seems like a well run cheery place. Not too computer savvy or up on social media...but I'm learning enough to play along on websites like this here. Looking forward to reading and learning from y'all!!...

As my handle points out, my name is Dave and I'm in Texas. I've boated and fished all my life and actually grew up in
Michigan and moved to Texas in 1978. In my youth I was always on the water whenever I got the chance and spent most of
my time on Lake St. Clair.
I never owned a boat during those days, but was fortunate to have family and friends who always seemed glad to have a capable set of eyes, ears and hands on board!

My son Matt and I just recently split the cost ($212.50 each) for an '03 Alumacraft model #1232 AND I'M FINALLY A BOAT OWNER!

We threw it into the bed of Matt's truck to get it home and to make a little trip out to the local boat ramp a couple of days
later, to make a check for leaking weld seams or rivet heads. Matt attempted to row a boat for the first time that day, I don't
seem to remember that I struggled as badly with my first attempt, but I probably did...

The boat is in great shape as the original owner had it in the water only three times and never mounted any motorized propulsion of any kind on it. All he did was mount some oars on it!!!

I have been using the search feature in this forum to read up on some of the posts y'all have regarding our particular model
boat AND found there to be just a handful of posts. This indicates to me that our model is not one of the more popular ones,
but I have to keep reminding myself it's a low cost beginning, not the last boat I will ever own. a great many of the posts
seem to indicate quite a few of you started out with smaller crafts than you now own.

I stumbled on the *****HOW MUCH FOAM DO I NEED***** thread (thanks Founder Jim) that I found to be an interesting read.
My thoughts after going over the several page thread is that Matt & I WILL NOT be opening the seat cavities and taking
out any of the original foam in order to increase internal storage. IMHO this would lead to problems when we eventually trade-in or sell the craft. Nope, don't want to go there...

The new trailer section will be my favorite haunt until we get ours designed, built and all the other steps & procedures completed, Oh CRAP! I just now realized I have not considered the time and cash involved in registering with the DMV
and the insurance company...

I'm really looking forward to spending time with my son. To my delight, he has now entered that phase in his life where he's realized his father has many valuable skills to pass down. He now seeks my advice, instead of just tolerating it :wink:

I must warn you all I'm a long winded old cuss, but thanks for your time if you've read this far and I look forward to boring
y'all with more questions and requests for sage advice. Dave

daveintexas said:
As my handle points out, my name is Dave and I'm in Texas. I've boated and fished all my life and actually grew up in
Michigan and moved to Texas in 1978. In my youth I was always on the water whenever I got the chance and spent most of
my time on Lake St. Clair.
I never owned a boat during those days, but was fortunate to have family and friends who always seemed glad to have a capable set of eyes, ears and hands on board!

My son Matt and I just recently split the cost ($212.50 each) for an '03 Alumacraft model #1232 AND I'M FINALLY A BOAT OWNER!

We threw it into the bed of Matt's truck to get it home and to make a little trip out to the local boat ramp a couple of days
later, to make a check for leaking weld seams or rivet heads. Matt attempted to row a boat for the first time that day, I don't
seem to remember that I struggled as badly with my first attempt, but I probably did...

The boat is in great shape as the original owner had it in the water only three times and never mounted any motorized propulsion of any kind on it. All he did was mount some oars on it!!!

I have been using the search feature in this forum to read up on some of the posts y'all have regarding our particular model
boat AND found there to be just a handful of posts. This indicates to me that our model is not one of the more popular ones,
but I have to keep reminding myself it's a low cost beginning, not the last boat I will ever own. a great many of the posts
seem to indicate quite a few of you started out with smaller crafts than you now own.

I stumbled on the *****HOW MUCH FOAM DO I NEED***** thread (thanks Founder Jim) that I found to be an interesting read.
My thoughts after going over the several page thread is that Matt & I WILL NOT be opening the seat cavities and taking
out any of the original foam in order to increase internal storage. IMHO this would lead to problems when we eventually trade-in or sell the craft. Nope, don't want to go there...

The new trailer section will be my favorite haunt until we get ours designed, built and all the other steps & procedures completed, Oh CRAP! I just now realized I have not considered the time and cash involved in registering with the DMV
and the insurance company...

I'm really looking forward to spending time with my son. To my delight, he has now entered that phase in his life where he's realized his father has many valuable skills to pass down. He now seeks my advice, instead of just tolerating it :wink:

I must warn you all I'm a long winded old cuss, but thanks for your time if you've read this far and I look forward to boring
y'all with more questions and requests for sage advice. Dave
What city? I'm in Dallas. Congrats and agree the boat addiction is a rapid one. You will always be shopping. But I love the projects.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

[mention]thedude[/mention]
Hey neighbor! My son and I are both residents of the Dallas area.

BTW I like your avatar, the BL has always been one of my fav JB movies!

Hey guys; glad I found this forum! I'm 45 years old, teach Middle school in Rowan County, NC. I have had an aluminum boat in my life for as long as I can remember. The first was a 10 foot jonboat with a 5 hp Gamefisher Sears motor, moved from there to a Mirrocraft 14 with a 9.9. Then I got into duck hunting and fishing the Pamlico Sound of NC so in 2008 I bought a SeaArk 2072 hull and trailer. Put a rebuilt Johnson 90 on the back, put a floor and console in myself. It has been a tank and because I didn't buy the package boat with the extended deck and livewells I have about 8 feet of open space in front of the console, and a short 4' front deck. Well, after 11 years of smoking, coughing, choking, and wondering if she would start on below-freezing mornings I finally broke down and bought a 2015 Yamaha f115 fourstroke for her last week. Got it up to 46 mph yesterday at 6200 rpm with my buddy's Yamaha SST 17 pitch prop, though it is most comfortable running 30 or so at 4k rpm.
Still a couple of months of catching redfish, specled trout, and flounder before duck season rolls around again.
index.php

index.php

Hello new guy on board. Long time fisherman and retired fishing guide. Cancelled my ticket 2 years ago and left the saltwater arena. Now fish mostly for bass out of my redneck canoe.
GKcC3FR.jpg

Could not be happier avoiding the crowded crazy launch ramps and the peace and quiet of fishing for big bass here in SW Florida. I mainly target smaller ponds/lakes and canals that get minimal fishing pressure. Catch some nice big bass out of the canals that abut my back yard.
The canoe is great for 1 man fishing but leaves a lot to be desired for fishing 2 anglers. I need something more stable to take my 10 year old grandson and/or wife that 2 people can stand up in (or pedestal seats) and safely fish. My life of fishing had previously revolved around large center console fiberglass boats with a myriad of flats and offshore boats in the mix over the years from Guam to Newport RI to Boca Grande FL.
My disclaimer: I know very little about aluminum hull boats and need a lot of help selecting the right setup for my needs. There are a ton of small ponds, lakes and miles of freshwater canals where I live loaded with bass, sunfish, cats, etc. and I would like something trailerable about 14ft capable of using a motor of 10hp or less and set up to comfortably fish 2 people. I'm leaning towards a welded hull and am capable of doing some minor customization but would prefer it ready to roll. I have no need for a live well as I am done with the fishing tournament headaches. I would like to keep the price below 10K if feasible.

Glad to be a part of this forum! I am 35 and just decided to one day start looking for an aluminum boat. I found and picked up a 12' wards sea king for 100 bucks. I am currently brazing the few pin hole leaks and cracks. I decided to up my fishing game by purchasing this boat. I plan on getting this boat lake worthy before my next vacation in September. We will see what the future holds. I live in the san Bernardino mountains in southern California, at 6200 feet elevation. My two closest waters by me are big bear lake, and Silverwood lake. I am glad I have stumbled upon this site for research and reference and who knows what else can come my way! Thanks for accepting me in to this community Jim!