another boat ID ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboat

Reaction score
Hello !! while getting my Aero Craft JCC over the weekend one of the people that approached me about it told me of another Aluminum cabin boat for sale not far from where we were.. so I went to look for it.. turns out it is going to be auctioned off soon.. or at least tried to be.. from what I was told.. the owned ( a woman ) tried to auction it off last year also but apparently didn't sell.. I'm not sure what it is or what it was originally used for.. its very heavy duty aluminum all welded and very well made and kinda has a rescue boat look to it.. its about 22' long I'm not sure if the motor runs.. its last registration expired in 2017 so its been out of the water at least 5 years.. I'm trying to find out more about it and thinking about possibly buying it if the price is right.. does anyone here have any ideas as to what make it is or what it looks like it was designed for ?? thanks to all that look or respond !!

Attachments

• 1528516241_b2df0eee_14c4_49bd_b438_23d2625e8834[1].jpg
    1528516241_b2df0eee_14c4_49bd_b438_23d2625e8834[1].jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 1528516240_9e60c139_ea96_4969_934e_54838207fe61[1].jpg
    1528516240_9e60c139_ea96_4969_934e_54838207fe61[1].jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 1,744
I can't help much on the boat but agree it was something patrol/rescue, Coast Guard utility, DNR, or a tow boat. It may be a custom boat. The cockpit looks very basic with no seating except for the driver and I think I see that the deck is self-bailing. Was the cabin set up for sleeping or mostly for storing gear? Looks like it could handle some rough water, with that big upturned bow.

The engine appears to be a 1980s 140HP Evinrude. It is a V4 with I believe VRO. I've read they are super reliable engines, and if the VRO function quits, you just premix the fuel/oil.

The trailer looks nice. My guess is that it didn't sell due to a high starting bid, and/or being too much of a commercial type boat. You would have to put some money and time making it a pleasure boat.

Hello zuren !! is the self bailing the four holes at the stern ?? I'm not sure if the motor runs.. I agree it looks what you think as well. the cabin is pretty much just open with a bench and cushion one each side looks like it could sleep two with plenty of room between.. where the pedestal seat is it looks like it may have had something else there originally. you can see the rectangle outline of a weld on the floor. I'm thinking a more deluxe type of seating was there.. I don't know what its really worth but the guy there said last year while at the auction the woman quickly dropped her reserve in half.. it still didn't sell he would not tell me what she dropped it to or what the high bid was.. he did mention that she needs money though.. he did say that you never know at a auction but his thoughts from what happened last year maybe a little north of $3500 could get it.. its in a rather small area and not seen by many other then the locals.. she either wants to much or no one locally is interested in it.. it has awhile before the auction so I still have some time to try to get more info on it..

oldboat said:
Hello zuren !! is the self bailing the four holes at the stern ?? I'm not sure if the motor runs.. I agree it looks what you think as well. the cabin is pretty much just open with a bench and cushion one each side looks like it could sleep two with plenty of room between.. where the pedestal seat is it looks like it may have had something else there originally. you can see the rectangle outline of a weld on the floor. I'm thinking a more deluxe type of seating was there.. I don't know what its really worth but the guy there said last year while at the auction the woman quickly dropped her reserve in half.. it still didn't sell he would not tell me what she dropped it to or what the high bid was.. he did mention that she needs money though.. he did say that you never know at a auction but his thoughts from what happened last year maybe a little north of $3500 could get it.. its in a rather small area and not seen by many other then the locals.. she either wants to much or no one locally is interested in it.. it has awhile before the auction so I still have some time to try to get more info on it..

Yes, I'm assuming those holes in the transom near the water line are "scupper holes" to self-bail the deck. They should basically be a straight pass-thru from the exterior of the boat to the deck, sometimes with a little door that stops water from pouring back into the boat (like if you have trailing seas hitting the transom).

I'm not as educated as most here, but if you can get it for $3500 and it suits your purpose, that seems like a steal! It doesn't look like it was ever set up for fishing, which may be a turn-off to many buyers. If the engine runs, my rough guess is the engine alone is worth $1500-2000. But it may need some work after sitting on a trailer for this long. The idea of having to repower a boat this large may be scaring buyers off. A new motor of similar HP is going to be $10,000+. A good used motor will be $4000-5000. (based on these prices - https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/)

Is that trailer properly sized to the length and weight of that boat? A single axle trailer seems a little light for a 22' heavy duty aluminum vessel.

Looks like there is plenty of opportunity to get a canvas shop to build a cover over the cockpit, maybe with a drop curtain for the really nasty days.

Another issue that could turn off buyers is any title problems; does it exist and is it clean? Looks like it was last registered and most likely titled in Ohio. If that title has been lost, and it was last registered in OH, and the boat is now in MI...that could be scaring people off. I have a friend in OH who has title issues with a couple jet skis - it was a nightmare for him to get that paperwork sorted out. Around me, you can't even scrap an aluminum boat without a title.

I would not pursue it if you plan on flipping it. It does have an unusual look to it, and is pretty spartan. I don't see any convenience features in your pics. It would a very special/specific buyer that would want it...assuming there are no other issues (hull, engine, title, etc.). This may be a boat you keep for a very long time, or be willing to let it go for a bargain price.

Hello zuren !! thank you for some more insight !! yes the motor is a concern as well as the cost of another used one in good shape..

yes those holes are straight through and have either flaps or plugs attached.. I have to look again.. I was thinking around $3500 for it as well but I talked to the last auctioneer who tried to sell it a year ago and he thought it had a $1500 reserve on it but he wasn't positive.. but he couldn't get it sold.. this of coarse heighted my interest !! lol

if the motor runs if will indeed make a lot of difference on the price. one other good thing is the location.. very small area and they don't want to advertise the auction.. so its just by chance that you run across it or local's that didn't buy it last year..

the unusual look attacks me and even being pretty spartan leaves a pretty open canvas to set it up to my likings or needs.. I'm not looking to flip it, it would be a keeper for sometime.. I think I remember seeing snaps around the windshield and down the sides for a canvas as I too was thinking about what you mentioned about a cover over the cockpit..

the trailer is rather heavy duty and seems to fit the boat quite nice so I think its been the one since new..

I asked the guy organizing the auction if the woman has all the paper work for the boat and he said that she has all paper work.. I'll find out more as the auction gets closer..

well I bought this boat today !! I have Ohio titles for the boat and motor and a bill of sale for it all with the trailer.. the auction was tense and there were some serious bidders a couple of guys just wanting to buy it to cut it up for scrap !! they thought they could get $3000 in scrap !! here's a few more photos.. it has two deep cell battery's, the motor turns over and has spark on 3 cylinders.. one has no spark .. the boat has two built in fuel tanks, fuel filter, and it even has a built in ballast tank !!

Attachments

• DSC03074.JPG
    DSC03074.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC03073.JPG
    DSC03073.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC03072.JPG
    DSC03072.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC03070.JPG
    DSC03070.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC03071.JPG
    DSC03071.JPG
  • DSC03069.JPG
    DSC03069.JPG
  • DSC03075.JPG
    DSC03075.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,439
AnglerRoy said:
That’s a sweet boat! What are your plans for it?

Thank You !! well for now the plan was just to acquire it while I had the chance !! lol... right now I'm just storing it at a Marina until next spring.. to start I will be looking for a repower to come along. in the mean time I will probably look over the motor that's on it and see what it takes to get it running again.. I'm not going to get to deep into it right now as I have another project boat in front of this one..

this boat is so awesome.. nice layout.. perfect for over night trips / exploring

gwar822 said:
this boat is so awesome.. nice layout.. perfect for over night trips / exploring

Thank you I really like this boat too !! after I've had a couple people tell me they think the trailer is a little small for this boat I just acquired another larger EZ Loader tandem axle trailer that is actually overkill for it I think, but.. after looking around.. some larger trailers aren't that easy to find.. and some were marginal on the width between the fenders. this one was the same as the trailer it was already on so I went for it.. for what the seller was asking it was a deal compared to the few others that were available .. this is plenty long enough for the rear rollers to go to the end of the transom. and has 64 rollers for a lot more support for the hull..

Congrats on a very unique and interesting boat! Looks like a very stable hull. I would've jumped on it for the right price.

Any idea what make & model it is, what year it was built, length & width, weight, any specs at all?

Will this be set up for fishing Lake Erie?

Todd in NY said:
Congrats on a very unique and interesting boat! Looks like a very stable hull. I would've jumped on it for the right price.

Any idea what make & model it is, what year it was built, length & width, weight, any specs at all?

Thank You Todd in NY ! it ended up costing me $3800 .. I have no idea of model or make.. the only number I can find on the hull is 118 other then the Ohio assigned serial # length is 22.5' width at bottom of transom is 74".. weight is still unknown as of yet.. I have no other specs on it.. the only other thing I know about it is it was in Maine at one time and found its way down to Columbus, Oh. and was sold to the pervious owners brother in 2003 then was given to his brother in 2013 after his death and brought to Michigan..

oldboat said:
Todd in NY said:

Thank You Todd in NY ! it ended up costing me $3800 .. I have no idea of model or make.. the only number I can find on the hull is 118 other then the Ohio assigned serial # length is 22.5' with at bottom of transom is 74".. weight is still unknown as of yet.. I have no other specs on it.. the only other thing I know about it is it was in Maine at one time and found its way down to Columbus, Oh. and was sold to the pervious owners brother in 2003 then was given to his brother in 2013 after his death and brought to Michigan..

Funny you mention that the boat was in Maine before going to Ohio... my first thought when I saw it was that it looked like a lobster boat. It looks like it would be a great boat from the Great Lakes. It appears to be a purpose-built boat, designed for a specific purpose.

Wow. Cool project. Glad you got a better trailer for it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Todd in NY said:
oldboat said:
Todd in NY said:

Thank You Todd in NY ! it ended up costing me $3800 .. I have no idea of model or make.. the only number I can find on the hull is 118 other then the Ohio assigned serial # length is 22.5' with at bottom of transom is 74".. weight is still unknown as of yet.. I have no other specs on it.. the only other thing I know about it is it was in Maine at one time and found its way down to Columbus, Oh. and was sold to the pervious owners brother in 2003 then was given to his brother in 2013 after his death and brought to Michigan..

Funny you mention that the boat was in Maine before going to Ohio... my first thought when I saw it was that it looked like a lobster boat. It looks like it would be a great boat from the Great Lakes. It appears to be a purpose-built boat, designed for a specific purpose.
Hello Todd, I have Property in the upper Peninsula of Michigan just outside of Sault St. Marie on Sugar Island so it will be getting some use up there..
and yes it does seem to have been built for a specific purpose.. only no one really has been able to confirm that use.. the previous owner had a idea it could have been a former Coastguard rescue boat .. it does have a rescue/ patrol boat look also.. probably will never know for sure.. some have speculated on a builder with the best guess so far as being a Winninghoff … I contacted them and they said it has their sheer line but didn't confirm it was one of theirs..

thedude said:
Wow. Cool project. Glad you got a better trailer for it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks thedude !! I'm new to the boating world and after I had a couple people say they thought the trailer was to small for the boat I got to looking at it and other boats and trailers and saw what they were talking about.. even though the hull is quite thick and solid it still over hung the rear rollers a couple feet.. so after looking around for awhile a found a much larger trailer that will support most of the entire hull from bow to stern .. its over kill as for the gvwr but better then a under size one..

Oldboat, sounds like a real nice place on Sugar Island. I agree your boat has a rescue/patrol boat look as well. Either way, you got a real nice boat that will outlast all of us on this forum. Keep us posted on your progress with this project boat.

Todd in NY said:
Oldboat, sounds like a real nice place on Sugar Island. I agree your boat has a rescue/patrol boat look as well. Either way, you got a real nice boat that will outlast all of us on this forum. Keep us posted on your progress with this project boat.

Thanks Todd !! Will do...

if you ever do any work on it show us the progress! such a nice vessel! I could imagine taking it out for a couple days fishing, and beaching it up on a nice island for the night for a cook out.. im in Florida btw... or taking it down the st johns river, or up the Atlantic/gulf cost exploring islands, fishing lol

Well I haven't had much to add to this post yet.. but just recently I have the opportunity to buy a very low hour 1999 Mercury EFI 200HP at a really great price.. it has the correct length shaft " 20" " the boat is 22.5 FT long and 74" wide at the bottom of the transom.. just wondering if this is to much power ?? or if it will be alright.. and it comes with no prop.. so also wondering what might be a good pitch to start with ?? thanks..

Latest posts