New boat build - 1648 Grizzly with 60/40 Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishigan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a lurker here a while but figured I'd share my new boat build. I got a very good deal on a lightly used 60/40 Mercury Fourstroke Jet, and I'm pairing it with a 1648 Tracker Grizzly. I'm upgrading to the big tiller kit on the motor with RPM adjustment, along with some other goodies. Still fine tuning everything I want to do on the boat. This boat will be running many rivers all over Michigan and beyond. Here are a few pictures to get started, I will post updates along the way. Boat.jpgBoat1.jpgBoat2.jpgMotor.jpg

I’m curious as to where you plan to put a drivers seat. The big tiller is pretty long and the normal seat position will prevent you from steering to the left. Last year, I got a similar sized boat but converted the tiller to console steer because of that and other issues My motor is lighter than the 60/40 4 stroke, and with me in the back it was back end heavy. Moving the steering to the center also helps me avoid rock hazards on the river and balanced the boat better.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Looks like a clean slate. Enjoy running the shallows with your new rig. Plenty of summer left!

I'll be running through the fall and into Winter. Prime Steelhead season up here!

Scott F said:
I’m curious as to where you plan to put a drivers seat. The big tiller is pretty long and the normal seat position will prevent you from steering to the left. Last year, I got a similar sized boat but converted the tiller to console steer because of that and other issues My motor is lighter than the 60/40 4 stroke, and with me in the back it was back end heavy. Moving the steering to the center also helps me avoid rock hazards on the river and balanced the boat better.

I don't plan on mounting any kind of driver's seat, I plan to stand while running. I am doing a 24v Minn Kota and I will be running all three batteries up front to help with weight distribution. The stock seat base they put on the Grizzly isn't ideal for any tiller motor if you ask me.

That layout would work great with a small forward center console like the Lowe console.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3,936
If you plan on standing, please consider putting in a grab rail of some sort. Could just be a pylon. If you hit something unexpected, you could get thrown out if you dont have something solid to grab.

We don't want to read about you in the news.

CedarRiverScooter said:
If you plan on standing, please consider putting in a grab rail of some sort. Could just be a pylon. If you hit something unexpected, you could get thrown out if you dont have something solid to grab.

We don't want to read about you in the news.

That's already on the list! I'm planning to do either a fold down one, or one that is easily removable. I'm considering something that will bolt into the versatrack on the boat. Possibly something like this. t-rail-grab-bar.jpg

Great boat. I have a 2015 1648 with a 2 stroke Merc 60/40 and it is really a perfect bass fishing river boat. If you don't know there is a channel that runs down the center of the boat you can fish wires through.

redrum said:
Great boat. I have a 2015 1648 with a 2 stroke Merc 60/40 and it is really a perfect bass fishing river boat. If you don't know there is a channel that runs down the center of the boat you can fish wires through.
I actually did know that about the channel, and plan to utilize it for my main wiring.

This boat will be used for bass and steelhead primarily. I’m still figuring out exactly what trolling motor I’m going to run, and i plan to run to cheap graph of some sort also.

Finally made some progress on the boat. Mounted the battery trays/batteries, wired in the trolling motor plug, and ran power under the floor to the stern of the boat. I also decided to try out the TH Micro Hydraulic jackplate. I've heard some mixed things on jackplates with jets, but everyone I've talked to who has run one swears by it. Got this installed today as well, still working on the wiring.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Had the boat out a few times now. Had it up to right at 30 mph according to my phone GPS. Think I can get a little more out of it with some fine tuning. Added a set of oars I had by making some oar blocks out of UHMW that fit into the versatrack. The boat rows surprisingly well. I am going to be adding a trolling motor so they might not stay on there. Hit some nice Smallies out of her already too. 13.jpg12.jpg

Cool Project

I just purchased a used Grizzley 1648 with a 30 hp Merc prop. i am converting it to a small fly fishing skiff.

1. I am also adding oars to the boat and I am working on figuring out how to attach the oar locks. i want to hook into the trac system and saw what you did and I want the same thing. Can you tell me where you got the trac system mounts and how, and if you built up the oar mounts. Thanks

2 . I have a standard tiller and have some thoughts of getting the upgraded tiller like you have. What is your feed back on that tiller?

Thanks for your help
Mike D.

Latest posts