New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank (Senkosam aka Spoonminnow) introducing myself.
70 years old; been fishing and boating most of my life.
Have 3 kids, 6 grandkids.
Post extensively on different fishing forums (crappie.com, sdfish.com, northeastbass.com, etc.)
Own 15' Guman canoe, 11.5' Sear's Jon boat, 10' Lowes V bottom and a 1995 Ranger bass boat (use the 10' the most)
Fish mostly to test lures I make or design in my basement workshop and found many catch any all species.
Smoked a pipe since I was 21.
Digital photography is a must and I post catches and lures used.
Born and lived in NY all my life.
Enlisted in the service in 1970, discharged after 4 years. (luckily orders for Vietnam were canceled at the last moment)

New member to this Board

Live and fish the Reno, NV area
Mainly fly fishing
Have had other boats in the past including an aluminum drift boat.
Just purchase a 16’ Grizzly Tracker with 30 hp Merc motor
Looking forward to creating a small fly fishing skiff

Mike

Finally talked my wife into letting me get my first boat! It's an 87 mirrocraft Troller 16ft.

Currently setup for two people to fish but going to do some work on it to get it setup for my family (2 small kids and 2 adults). It has a 20 HP Envirude, wIth the kids being young, may try to see if I can pull them on a tube and / or skis. Not sure if the motor has enough power but only time will tell.

Current plans are to add two more seats for the kids and clean it up a little. Over the winter / early spring the goal is to get the setup better and maybe even paint it. Will post along the way with whatever I do.

Good morning all,

I'm in South Central PA and over the past 12 years I have had quite a few floating fishing platforms to get my son out fishing. We did kayaks at first, then has a 10ft jon, then up to an old Bass Tracker until I finally went up to a small 16ft fishing pontoon.

My son has moved away so I sold my pontoon in favor of getting something that I can run in more of the electric only lakes in my area. I live 10 min away from one. I picked up an old 1989 Alumacraft Lunker LTD (16'5") that had a wooden deck bolted onto it. I am starting a full restore on it to remove the wooden casting decks to lighten the boat and put in some aluminum framed storage. I also want 2 pedestal seats bolted on a floor so that I can take my 85 yr old step dad out for some comfortable fishing. I don't want him sitting up on a casting deck.

I just got started and I'm taking pics. I will do thread on the build as I go.

Glad I found this forum,A lot of great reading.
I currently reside in Central Pa. and have 2 boats. A 70's mirror craft 14' semi V, Smokercraft pro mag 16.5'
I'm currently looking for a used Jon boat to fix up just for shallow water fishing. That's how a come across the site.

The first boat I owned was a 12 Jon boat with a 7.5hp Gamefisher motor. Pretty much all my life I have been around boats.
Makes of boats I have owned...Sea Nymph, Glastron, Grumman,Alumacraft,Fisher, Mirror Craft, Smokercraft.

I currently fish rivers & lakes for bass.
The jet Jons are pretty intriguing, I'm sure I will have some questions after I'm done reading :D

Doug

Hello everyone,
I am from northeast North Dakota I'm 52 and live in a small town named Drayton located right on the banks of The Red River of the North. We are known here for our channel catfishing, hence the town nickname "Catfish Capitol of the North". I fish out of an 81 Lund Mr. Pike powered by a 78 Johnson 55 hp. I enjoy catfishing and walleye fishing in my free time. Lately I have been working on taking out the factory livewell in my boat and trying to put in a larger livewell for fishing catfish tournaments. Glad to be here and I can see from some of the posts that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. If people don't mind I'm going to have a few questions on my livewell project.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi all. Name is David. 51 years young. Currently reside in Alabama 10 minutes down the road from good ol lake guntersville. Finally got my first boat 2 weeks ago. She is a 92 tracker tournament v17 with a 40 evinrude. Named her Sea Chelle after the admiral. Wife is out fishing me at the moment but we are enjoying our new to us boat. Oldest boy is up near dale hollow in tn and picked up an old 16ft alumacraft took me out and that was it. Needed to get my own

Hello folks,
Have owned everything from RowBoats to a Skeeter and in retirement which is a few years away....ending with this 95 Grumman Scout (picked up yesterday)and My 98 Lund Mr Pike.
With the current Shitshow going on and lack of work I decided to investigate some skinny water reservoirs to wet a line.
Looking for some help with modifications
I am looking for something like McCallum offers for a riser for the bow trolling motor. I thought the area in front would be larger.
Also thinking of decking to the front seat (aluminum)
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Woody

Attachments

• F886F93A-5662-4AE2-B7CF-AC2F5F9DA1C7.jpeg
    F886F93A-5662-4AE2-B7CF-AC2F5F9DA1C7.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 344
New here from the flint hills of Kansas. I’m a native Texan but retired from the Army out here and stayed. I’ve had an old tri-hull bass boat before but sold it years ago. I just traded for a Tracker Topper 14 with a Honda 8hp 4 stroke electric start motor and trailer. I plan to rig it out to fish for cats and run lines in the river with.

I’ve been reading build forums on here and watching videos of mods done on Jon boats for the last week or so trying to figure out what I want and how to accomplish it. I’m pretty handy with wood and metal work but not so much aluminum but I think I have it figured out what I want to do to it.

I traded a rifle to my buddy back in Texas for the boat and will be going to pick it up on July 20th. For now I gotta stick to the bank.

New guy here. Joined because I'll be re-restoring my 1989 Tracker Pro 17 this winter. I bought it last summer knowing that it would need some work.It's taking on more water lately and I've found plenty of loose rivets that are probably the culprit. I'll also be adding a 75hp with a jack plate to replace the Merc Classic 50. The boat is rated for 60hp but the universal formula says that in theory, the boat can handle 110hp. I'll post some pics soon

Tony

Just noticed this topic. Newbie here from NY up near Lake Ontario. Just picked up my first boat, 1990 SeaNymph. Trying to learn as much as I can!

Hi, Thanks for adding me. I'm near Charleston, SC and I collect old outboard motors and have three aluminum boats I like to tinker with. I hope to learn a lot from this forum and share some of my experience.
-Bryan

Yellowhorse7 said:
New guy here. Joined because I'll be re-restoring my 1989 Tracker Pro 17 this winter. I bought it last summer knowing that it would need some work.It's taking on more water lately and I've found plenty of loose rivets that are probably the culprit. I'll also be adding a 75hp with a jack plate to replace the Merc Classic 50. The boat is rated for 60hp but the universal formula says that in theory, the boat can handle 110hp. I'll post some pics soon

Tony

Welcome. This is a great place to be and full of amazing information!

I have the same hull as you, but an ‘88, with a Classic 50. I’ve been trying to figure out what the max HP is, couldn’t find it online anyway. So thanks! I’m pretty much done with my rebuild, just gotta lay some carpet. I also plan on eventually swapping the Classic 50 for a 60. Right now I top out at 25 mph, and would love to be closer to 30. Don’t want to go too much higher than a 60 though, because I do a lot of trolling and need to maintain a lower idle speed.

Keep us posted on the build!

Hello,
Thanks for adding me to the group. I found the group yersterday poking around the internet looking for info on Arkansas Travelers. I have, according to the registration, a 14 ft, 1960 v-hull. The original transom wood has rotted out and would like to replace that and make some other general repairs. Don't know much about how my family came to acquire it. I think it was passed down/over from family.
Great to be here.
Eric

I'm Jilly and I recently found out I like to fish. I'm disabled & live not too far from Center Hill Lake in DeKalb County, TN. I worked with computer networks in Nashville until I became disabled 10-years ago. When Nashville got too crazy, we moved out here about 5-years ago. It was time to downsize to a smaller 1-level house anyway.

Growing up in Detroit, one of my older brothers hunted and fished "up North" quite a bit, but somehow I missed out on the lake experience. I think I was too preoccupied with music. For 5 years in the 1980s I played bass in a band that also liked to go camping haha, so we'd play a gig in Detroit on Friday or Saturday night and after the gig, we'd go "up North" camping for a few days. When I was a musician, I met my husband, who is a piano player, and while we were dating, I took him camping exactly ONE time, LOL. :LOL2: He is NOT interested in fishing. Plus he worked for many years on a ship as a musician and going boating is also not his idea of fun LOL. He'd go of course, if I needed him to; he's not a jerk. (We're going to have our 30th anniversary later this year.) He lost his shipboard job early in the coronavirus mess, so we both might be retired at this point.

Anyway, since I am a geek and I like to make things and I am a ham radio operator as my main hobby, I have acquired a 12-foot Mirrocraft Resort boat and trailer to restore. The plan is to put a flat floor in it (not a deck or bass fishing platform), some handicapped rails, a solar panel, antenna mount, and troll around.

First time fishing. Caney Fork River near Rock Island TN:
EWK6AFfWkAEwEBB.jpg
thanks to Gribble's fishing-guide and taxidermy service (and bounty hunting) he showed me to how fish - I wanted to make sure I indeed, wanted to take up the hobby.
Yeah!

Latest posts