Essential Items For First Aid Kits

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyota

Reaction score
Curious as to what everyone else considers essential first aid gear on your tinny. Quick internet search shows everything from "just a few bandaids and sunscreen" to kit with 3 tourniquets, splints, and a backboard.

Want to build my own, and want to learn from everyone's " wish I had thats" and "why did I lug that around"s.

So what's in your kit?

I hadn't thought of sun screen as part of a first aid kit, but I always have it on the boat. Depending on the locale add insect spray. Maybe Benadryl or cortisone cream might be good to have for some bite relief.

Needs might vary by situation. I am typically out for part of a day. I am usually in cell phone range. A run to the ramp would not take long.

My first aid kit contains a lot of different size bandaids, sterile compresses in different sizes, and a tube of Neosporin. I also have a couple rolls of that sticky gauze tape. That stuff is really useful. It all fits in a red zippered first aid bag that I got for next to nothing at the local supermarket for buying a couple of Band-Aid brand items.

Cutting tools, including scissors, are always on the boat. I will always have baggies or plastic bags on the boat if I want to make an ice pack. Also always have bottled drinking water in the cooler in case I need to use it to flush my eyes or something.

So I guess my kit covers your basic cuts & scrapes.

Thanks. Baggies are a great idea, not just for ice packs but for all kinds of things. Adding those to my kit.

Super glue is one of the best ways to seal up a cut quickly.

Some people say to include some matches and lint in case you had to go to shore and help someone with hypothermia by starting a fire. Depends on Your location and habits.

Oh and some pepto in case the gas station breakfast burrito threatens mutiny.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I carry duct tape. You can make a bandage or a splint etc using tape and a piece of t-shirt. It's overly simple but has worked well for me over the years. Every year we take a 3 day backcountry trip using the boats. Duct tape always on board.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

For offshore fishing, I think puncture wounds, large cuts and embedded hooks. Manley side-cutting pliers heavy enough to cut off a hook barb is a MUST. I also augmented by stock/OEM first aid kits with plastic wrap and large tampons, to compress onto wounds. Works well with the duct tape to seal off any leakage. Even carried Asherman seals for chest cavity wounds, in case of a wayward harpoon. Even trained in their use, blood clotting agents are good too.

Good thread. I need a medical first aide kit for my boat.

On topic, what about first aide for your outboard? I have a dry box with a spare prop nut, cotter pins, zip ties, spark plugs, small ratchet wrench with various sockets, crescent wrench, pliers, cutters, electrical tape, paracord in case recoil starter breaks, among other items. Outside of the box I keep a floating prop wrench and a spare prop

DaleH said:
For offshore fishing, I think puncture wounds, large cuts and embedded hooks. Manley side-cutting pliers heavy enough to cut off a hook barb is a MUST. I also augmented by stock/OEM first aid kits with plastic wrap and large tampons, to compress onto wounds. Works well with the duct tape to seal off any leakage. Even carried Asherman seals for chest cavity wounds, in case of a wayward harpoon. Even trained in their use, blood clotting agents are good too.

Actually I got a couple tampons in the kit too. Didn't want to mention it because, well . . . you know . . . it is one of those lady thingies.

Chest cavity wounds? Harpoon wounds? Blood clotting agents? You don't go out on the Pequod do you?

Great ideas, and a few good laughs too, thanks!

Duct tape, super glue, tums, side cutters and 2 types of fire starter (magnesium and knife, and steel wool that I can light off my FF agm battery are now in my box. Can't really just call it a first aid kit now, its my boat survival box.

Wyota said:
Thanks. Baggies are a great idea, not just for ice packs but for all kinds of things. Adding those to my kit.

You know, I use the baggie from my sandwich to cover my hands while I put on sunscreen. That way my hands don't have sunscreen oil that will transfer to the lure and keep fish away.

PS: Eat the sandwich first.

LDUBS said:
DaleH said:

Actually I got a couple tampons in the kit too. Didn't want to mention it because, well . . . you know . . . it is one of those lady thingies.

Chest cavity wounds? Harpoon wounds? Blood clotting agents? You don't go out on the Pequod do you?

Yeah no kidding! Let’s stay off his boat!

I carry quick clot, but I am usually far away from a boat ramp with few others around to help.

I carry superglue as well.....

I didn't have tampons in my 1st kit, will add when I get home. Good idea, and practical.

I have 3 of these kits, https://www.survival-supply.com/style-trauma-p-5574.html . I keep one in the car. One in the house and rotate one between the boat and my hunting bag. When I weighed one, it was about 15 lbs with what I added to it. In the boat and car that doesn't mean much, but if you go on long hunt hikes, it is worth the weight if you need it.

I added US GI bandages, like the ones they issued for the first aid pouch. I also have some 5 mil plastic sheet about 2 x 2 ft, kept in a ziplock. I don't expect a sucking chest wound, but if needed, got it covered.

If you carry and gels, creams or meds in yours, check your expiration dates. Keep them updated. The alcohol and antiseptic packets like to dry up after awhile too.

[
Nice kit. I've thought before about trying to get a Corpsman/Medic bag, but they always seemed quite bulky and more than I know how to use. I know general military first aid, and how to give an i.v., and that's about it.

Would like to get a basic emt course one day, just need to figure how to get Uncle Sammy to pay for it.

quote=FormerParatrooper post_id=468432 time=1567726982 user_id=21034]
I didn't have tampons in my 1st kit, will add when I get home. Good idea, and practical.

I have 3 of these kits, https://www.survival-supply.com/style-trauma-p-5574.html . I keep one in the car. One in the house and rotate one between the boat and my hunting bag. When I weighed one, it was about 15 lbs with what I added to it. In the boat and car that doesn't mean much, but if you go on long hunt hikes, it is worth the weight if you need it.

I added US GI bandages, like the ones they issued for the first aid pouch. I also have some 5 mil plastic sheet about 2 x 2 ft, kept in a ziplock. I don't expect a sucking chest wound, but if needed, got it covered.

If you carry and gels, creams or meds in yours, check your expiration dates. Keep them updated. The alcohol and antiseptic packets like to dry up after awhile too.
[/quote]

Wyota said:
[
Nice kit. I've thought before about trying to get a Corpsman/Medic bag, but they always seemed quite bulky and more than I know how to use. I know general military first aid, and how to give an i.v., and that's about it.

Would like to get a basic emt course one day, just need to figure how to get Uncle Sammy to pay for it.

quote=FormerParatrooper post_id=468432 time=1567726982 user_id=21034]

[/quote]

Uncle Sammy paid for a lot of training, both in and out of service. My job now stresses first aid, so they pay for continuing education and recertification.
You took the Combat Lifesaver course? That was my starter, it it just blossomed from there.

Naw, didn't even get a chance for anything as formal as CLS. Always just last minute jammed in classes once gear was embarked and we were on final predeployment weeks. I may see if I can find a CLS still going on near me and sneak into it.

Latest posts