soft plastic lure fiddling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senkosam

Reaction score
When weather doesn't permit, I'm down in the basement workshop smoking my pipe, listening to the news or watching movies on the Roku while messing with lures that I make either by pouring hot plastic or cutting and fusing plastic parts together using a candle flame.
Some of my best lures for all species of freshwater fish have been discovered in my well organized workshop:
jkhwqfX.jpg
u4L9CTt.jpg

(BTW, the barbel on the floor has been collecting dust for over a decade...)

Plaster of Paris has allowed me to make copies of lures no longer made such as Uncle Josh's pork rind frog (never could figure out the name):
hGyYA8C.jpg

..and another way too expensive to buy:
kOsFZBW.jpg

I can't pass up a sale and found a way to secure this similar skirted jig trailer:
zJWefR9.jpg
PCjpQTx.jpg

Composite designs work better than most of the usual ones sold and there's no limit what you can come up with. Don't like the tail ?, substitute another using a flame (curl tail cut off and replaced by a spike tail):
7zNxg3s.jpg

Here I added a Joker Grub 3-prong tail to a tube:
Hp2ZTwD.jpg

Interesting, I also just read about modifying plastics on another site, seems like there's no end as to how you can play with them.

Which site if you don't mind? I also post under the name of Spoonminnow.
Also figured out how to make a lure lock for jigs and soft plastic lures:
YfnOlbX.jpg
FpfkbY3.jpg

JySewQV.jpg

wrap once:
BrUYzE3.jpg

snip one end close to post:
Cy6KDWT.jpg

then bend a wire L shape:
LZxvzBH.jpg
BKaZka1.jpg

Now I buy only barbless jigs from Ebay.
NGvDxoF.jpg
ZeyTLl1.jpg

I don't use soft plastics, but I sure like your workshop. The experimentation process you talk about is pretty cool. I bet it isn't hard to lose yourself in there for hours.

That shop rules!

Winter is here for a lot of us and fishing and boating comes through the screen.

What are you working on now? This question goes to anyone and everyone.

Sorry I didn't get back to answering sooner as I hope many other will. Daily I come up with modifications and even tied my dogs hair on a jig and caught fish on it (#8). :
3zjLSog.jpg

These are hand injected into molds. Decided to use more clear and lightly tinted plastics this year. Clear worked great last year.
He1Ezni.jpg

A few more hybrids and Spike-It dyed swimbait:
28eyMCn.jpg

Ever since Jan. I been able to test lures and catch fish in the pond behind my house that never froze over.
winter
csMBzzs.jpg

now
4TbANvq.jpg

Latest posts