Decking thats not wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdm111

Reaction score
I am about to deck some of my 1948 custom hull and was wondering whats out there to use to deck thats not wood? Maybe pvc sheeting? I want it to be smooth and white. Thanks

PVC might get soft in the hot sun.

Alum is best, could be painted white.

If you want plastic, they make fiberglass panels, made for bathroom walls I believe. Check out big box home stores. Seems like that would work for a floor if supported by foam.

Good luck

Honeycombed foam-filled FRP Divinycell is what my offshore boat is decked in and it is unreal; stronger than plywood at 1/3rd to almost 1/4qtr the weight ... but it is expen$ive.

Some just use FRP panels from big-box home stores, where you'll need a good rib structure, like you would for a tin floor. A 0.090" thick sheet is ~$32 for a 4'x8' panel, weighing 20-pounds.

FRP panels is what you're talking about - they work great supported by foam.

To build elevated decking sections you would need a three ply setup - with the area framed out you would top the framing with a layer of FRP, then add a layer of foam and a second layer of FRP. You should be able to find an adhesive which will bond to the foam without dissolving it, and most adhesives hold to fiberglass well enough to secure everything. I would still prime/paint the FRP as I don't know whether it's UV stable or not (tend to doubt it as it's designed for use in interior spaces), but it would be white to start with and could be kept white.

Ok thanks yall with the frp for flooring if i were to put 4lb foam under would 1/2 suffice or wpuld it flex? I was also looking at that hdpe but thats really expensive and seems very hard to seal with.

I basically want to make this into a center consol bay like boat. On a side note does anyone know why it has those wings around the bottom and back? Thanks

Attachments

• 20190910_130207.jpg
    20190910_130207.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,423
  • 20190910_131501.jpg
    20190910_131501.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,423
Did the fabricator leave the underside of the boat flat and smooth? They appear to be there to add stability in a turn would be my guess.

Yes its smooth with an epoxy coating under. I forget the name steelflex? Its what everybody uses

I was suggesting the FRP over polystyrene foam bought from a big box home improvement store. If you're using 2 part expanding you can use 2lb density foam w/ the FRP (that's what I used in my 1436 and it's held up fine to this day).

Ok thanks i will do that.
On another note securing a center consol to the frp would be to screw it then mold it in with epoxy resin? Or..............

I'd attach that console to the ribbing of the boat or the bench seat, not to the FRP.

Ok just so i dont have to do it twice as i understand do a wood frame then i would guess glue the ftp to the frame. How does one go about getting pour foam under it? And i guess the foam will make the panel ridgid without bowing when walked on? At first i didnt realize what this frp was now i know and its extremely thin which is great for weight but not so much for rigidity

When I was outfitting my new 1542, I pondered the exact same question. I wanted a rot proof 'forever' floor that was a light as possible. I took a risk based on literally just a couple of guys on this forum who had tried it. I used FRP. I used the 1.5" thick Owens Corning Foamular 250 between the ribs and put the FRP down on top of the foam. I like carpet so I glued light weight marine carpet to the top of the FRP with Henry 263. You can order non textured FRP and that's what I used. The entire floor system is extremely light weight. I've used the heck out of the boat all spring and summer and the floor was fantastic. Did not warp, crack, get spongy etc. I weight 230+ and my buddy weighs 300+. Never was a problem. Lighter than aluminum, waaaaayyyyyy lighter than wood. Cheaper than aluminum and comparable to wood in cost. Perfect Jonboat flooring in my opinion.

Latest posts