Johnson 48 SPL Reverse "Lock"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
1993 model Johnson 48 SPL. When trying to reverse off the trailer with throttle, the prop is coming out of the water as the motor tilts up. My old Mercury had a feature that locked the motor in reverse but would let it tilt up in forward gear in case you hit something.

Does the Johnson have this feature? I've reviewed the book on it and can't seem to find any discussion.

Thanks!

First thing to look for is to look for the tilt pin where the reverse locks hooks second place to look is the rod from reverse lever go's to latch.
I'm also wondering is this trim and tilt or manual tilt manual tilt would be my first part off my answer if its trim and tilt you have a problem.
Sam

jonboatsam said:
First thing to look for is to look for the tilt pin where the reverse locks hooks second place to look is the rod from reverse lever go's to latch.
I'm also wondering is this trim and tilt or manual tilt manual tilt would be my first part off my answer if its trim and tilt you have a problem.
Sam
This motor has an old tilt assist cylinder that no longer functions. I have a cmc aftermarket trim kit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You locked it with that lever on the handle to the trim assist. You will have to make a lock and just lock it in the down position and use the T&T.

Okay the lever is still there but the cable is gone. I'll inspect closer and see what I might be able to fabricate. Good to know it is not tied in to the shift rod.

Those cylinders gave some trouble but so did the cable. You may get lucky and in your case it just be the cable. If so you may just replace it and then lock it in the down position and be good to go. I don't remember what the cable costs but those cyls were/are pricey and kinda aggravating to work on. I had a couple 40s and luckily they never gave any trouble.

I finally got some pics. Cable is toast but I don't know how it works if the tilt assist is junk. Any ideas on where the other end should connect? I think I am out of luck with reverse/tilt lock. Reversing off the trailer is a pain watching the prop jump out of the water!
dee49e0a68cf142736d719fc4ebb1b6c.jpg
cc935fb214f7eb46f49ac58278e139c5.jpg

The cable goes from that lever into the side of the tilt assist ram, there is a fitting on the side of the ram. Mine seems to "do something" but it doesn't lock the motor, I can still lift it with the lever in either position. Going to keep investigating this....

I did lift the motor and set it on the kickstand to keep it up while I inspected, then let it down with reverse lock lever in the lock position. The motor went about 80% of the way back down, but it seemed to keep some fluid locked in the ram and motor was not quite all the way back down to resting state. I set the lock lever back and it released some pressure and went all the way back down.

Latest posts