My new LED bow lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I bought a new trolling motor for my big boat I decided to move the old one to my Jon, which entailed building up a wood mounting surface on the front flat. This meant my old bow light was blocked on the starboard side, so I ordered a pair of LED lights from Amazon. Once they arrived I needed to figure out how to mount them.

My solution turned out to be a flat aluminum bar from the hardware store. I marked it and cut it with a hacksaw, then used stainless sheet metal screws to mount it. It's a simple mod but I'm really happy with the result both in terms of visibility and also how sturdy they are. Eventually I will probably put the aluminum bars on the belt sander because they are fairly sharp, but I probably won't get around to it until I snag my line a few times or make my arms bleed. :)

There's a little stack of washers under the front edge of the light to compensate for the thickness of the 1/8" aluminum bar.

led - 2.jpg

You can see how the old single bow light wouldn't be visible from the right side.

led - 1.jpg

LED lights are available here in case anyone is interested: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0732Z8J9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41O7OO9NfWL._AC_.jpg

Don't they need to be up higher so the view is not impeded by the trolling motor? I'm asking, not making a statement here.
I plan on putting an electric anchor up front so I've been looking at either doing an led bar on each side of the hull or a flip up type to make it above the anchor because I was concerned about the anchor blocking the view of the light.

I do believe the strip leds are not coast guard approved. Unless they say it on them. I would be real careful with those. You could use the removable ones that sit up higher when you plug them in

Wallyc said:
I do believe the strip leds are not coast guard approved. Unless they say it on them. I would be real careful with those. You could use the removable ones that sit up higher when you plug them in

I appreciate that call-out. I looked into it and the ones I was going to get are indeed, NOT USCG approved and could get me into trouble. Shame on me for not catching that but kudos to you for looking out for us.

The first Q&A on the strip LED I'm referencing, calls it out.

Pector55 said:
Don't they need to be up higher so the view is not impeded by the trolling motor? I'm asking, not making a statement here.
I plan on putting an electric anchor up front so I've been looking at either doing an led bar on each side of the hull or a flip up type to make it above the anchor because I was concerned about the anchor blocking the view of the light.

The bow light is supposed to be visible from something like 112 degrees to either side.

Would have to a pretty bored or nosey water patrol agent to give you a ticket for that, but they may use it as an excuse to come and check you out.

Lol! You don’t live in Virginia . Game wardens which is who patrols around here gave me a ticket last year for the registration letter and numbers which I might add were put on by dealer were to close to each other. Who wants a good day spoiled by something so trivial? It just gives them ammunition to go digging in my boat / invading my space( I promise I’m not paranoid ) No thanks! I wanted to go the led route because of my trolling motor until I found out they are a no go.

MrGiggles said:
Pector55 said:

The bow light is supposed to be visible from something like 112 degrees to either side.

Would have to a pretty bored or nosey water patrol agent to give you a ticket for that, but they may use it as an excuse to come and check you out.

The whole idea of a separate green/red light on each corner was to compensate for the fact the trolling motor blocks the starboard view of the one mounted in the center. A viewer to the L will see two red lights, the edge mounted one and the original center light. A viewer on the R will still see the new green light on the bow edge. A viewer at the front will see all of them.

Latest posts