Prop advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsk

Reaction score
Running a tracker 1648 (2018) mercury 25hp. Original prop was 9.5x11 stock got 5200-5300 rpm and 22-23mph wot , mercury prop selector tool said use a spitfire 4 blade 9.3x11, took boat out over weekend always run 2 guys 2 batteries and trolling motor and fishing gear . 5800 rpm 24-25mph , Is this the best I will get with this set up?

Put a SS 3 blade 11" on it and it should pick up some RPM. Might even have to go to a 12" depending on how much it picks up. Going a little over 6000 is fine as long as it ain't on the limiter all the time.

Thank you for the reply I thought about the stainless steel prop but they were over 300$ the whole shot with a four blade was night and day over the stock prop I think I might just save the money and put a 40 hp on it. Really thought I would get closer to 28/29mph with the 25hp, best advice on this forum buy the max hp your boat is rated for!

Did you ever run your rig through the Prop Calculator listed as a sitcky post on the Motors forum?

FWIW the Turning Point 'pressed aluminum' 4-blade props give SS performance at a fraction of the price (< $100). Plus with their props you are never stuck, as they swap them out until you get exactly what YOU need and/or want.

That said, I doubt you'll ever see close to 30mph with a 25hp on that rig as configured ... less on the trailer :lol: ... LOL!

I did try turning point it said they didn’t have any props for my motor and your right can’t hit 30mph with just me

With that 4 blade you might be able to lift the engine on the transom and it still bite (depending on the prop, hull, etc). The 4th blade generally will pull a MPH or so out of it, the extra blade has a little drag. I think if you could lift it a little and play around with the setup, you should see 30 with a light load. The more you load it the more it's gonna slow down, and that's a big hull already for 25hp. The 40 outta run 30 probably not much more though-remember-it's heavier which offsets some of the extra power. Have you considered a jack plate, PT&T or breakaway? Those would lift it and move it back and in the case of the PT&T (CMC is popular brand), you get that extra benefit of power tilt/trim. Most that install them see 2-5 mph improvement after playing with it. I want one; can't justify the cost right now with everything else going on.

Latest posts