Your opinions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shemstreet

Reaction score
If starting new with a 16' boat, either utility V or jon, what are your thoughts on these manufacturers for ride and durability? Does hull thickness matter that much in a riveted boat?

I have Alumacraft closest, then Lowe and Tracker. Thinking at least 1648 or wider. If a V-hull, what is a stable width (do I need to be 6' or more?). Max two people, usually one. Up to three batteries.

Slow trolling, bottom fishing, and some trolling motor bass fishing the banks. River and 4000 acre lake.

Still looking used as well for center consoles, but may make more sense to buy a basic boat new.

4000 acre lake will get very choppy, & flat bottom would be bad.

You might want to go for test ride for prospective purchase on a windy day to test worst case conditions.

Been in a few jon's over the last 30 some odd years. But that should be "a given" since I live in the aluminum boat capital of the world. 4000 acre lake "could" get a little choppy, or it might not. I'm sitting here at work looking across the way at a 4500 acre lake, which is on average 2.6 feet deep, and rarely do I ever get any chop. Now when I go fishing at the "other" lake, things are completely different. It sits nestled in the mountains, wind comes down the hills and blows across the water-all 40,000 acres of it (but it's real irregular, basically 2 lakes connected by a deep river). I use my little 1548 up there all the time, but you do have to be mindful of the weather. Chop? 18 to 20" rollers have been about the most I've been on/in and I am pretty positive that I never want to do that again in that little boat.

Ride quality of mine (war eagle) is top notch, probably the best and dryest riding jon I've ever used.

Definitely a (1) TALL-gunneled deep-V hull boat, and (2) one with full height transom. Owned various 14 to 16-footers through the years and did a ton in the 14s, but for only 2’ longer, I found the 16s to be ‘twice’ the boat!

But if you can't swing a 16-footer, then a 14’ w/ minimum 25hp would be nice, provided conditions 1 & 2 were met.

Ditto on tall sides and Deep V. Will keep you dry in the chop. The only reason not to have one is if you are frequently in shallow water.

Not sure if you are looking at just a bare fishing rig, or a finished out setup with floors and compartments. Tracker Guide series would be one to look at, and the Alumacraft Summit.

A deep V will roll more, but they aren't any less fishable than a flat bottom, and you can get across the lake on windy days without getting beat to death. Most 16s are at least 48" wide, which should be plenty stable.

Are you in Lebanon, TurboTodd? I'm from Lebanon, but have lived all over last 30 years, in VA currently

turbotodd said:
Been in a few jon's over the last 30 some odd years. But that should be "a given" since I live in the aluminum boat capital of the world. 4000 acre lake "could" get a little choppy, or it might not. I'm sitting here at work looking across the way at a 4500 acre lake, which is on average 2.6 feet deep, and rarely do I ever get any chop. Now when I go fishing at the "other" lake, things are completely different. It sits nestled in the mountains, wind comes down the hills and blows across the water-all 40,000 acres of it (but it's real irregular, basically 2 lakes connected by a deep river). I use my little 1548 up there all the time, but you do have to be mindful of the weather. Chop? 18 to 20" rollers have been about the most I've been on/in and I am pretty positive that I never want to do that again in that little boat.

Ride quality of mine (war eagle) is top notch, probably the best and dryest riding jon I've ever used.

I love my beat up old totally rebuilt Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650. It was a great side console boat, and is proving to be a great tiller boat. It may be a touch longer that you are looking for but at 16'-9" it seems miles bigger than a 14' boat. It is about 85" in the beam, and is considered a modified V. very stable.
One lake I frequent has a narrow 2 to 3 mile run from the boat ramp to where the lake opens up. That run in the afternoon is nearly always windy and choppy. This boat handles it well.
I look at the fancy bass boats every time, but I have had this boat for about 20 years, and do not figure on ever selling it.

Latest posts