Sketchy Shallow Run

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Shallow, rocky, sketchy run to fish a stretch of river I've been wanting to hit for a couple of years. This run is pretty much the limit for my G3 and likely the last run I'll make on it. She's been a good boat, but I've reached the limits of its capability and there are waters worse than this that are calling my name.

[media]https://youtu.be/RDc3oSqQfyE[/media]

More footage from the trip
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUi-cfWXriw&t=21s[/media]

Sounds like you're going to upgrade. What boats are you looking at?

Just a side note. I bought a 20 lb drift boat galvanized pyramid anchor and am really pleased with it. If you anchor in swift water a lot, you might give one a try.

Riverdog said:
Sounds like you're going to upgrade. What boats are you looking at?

Just a side note. I bought a 20 lb drift boat galvanized pyramid anchor and am really pleased with it. If you anchor in swift water a lot, you might give one a try.

I'm likely going to an inboard RockProof with UHMW. To slow my drift I use a drift chain. I have 3 4ft sections. It doesn't work on hard bottoms though. Where did you get your pyramid from?

Ordered from here.

https://www.englundmarine.com/products/pyramid-anchor-galvanized-20-%7C5481600000%24q.html

It's a little pricey with shipping.

I have been drooling over those rock proof boats.

In the drift boat (14ft), I use a 30lb pyramid anchor from Hyde Drift Boats, sometimes that anchor will lodge in a ledge and it's dangerous to get it loose, if you can. I'm going to one of their cylinder toothed anchors. And usually we keep a second anchor if we need to cut the anchor line. I have uhmw on the metal drift boat, tie it off on take-out paved incline or you will be chasing it down river.

I don't work here but Mike Watson Welding in Bluff City TN might have something in the shop being built now you would be interested. He doesn't advertise, too busy. Will pm info if asked.

jtf said:
In the drift boat (14ft), I use a 30lb pyramid anchor from Hyde Drift Boats, sometimes that anchor will lodge in a ledge and it's dangerous to get it loose, if you can. I'm going to one of their cylinder toothed anchors. And usually we keep a second anchor if we need to cut the anchor line. I have uhmw on the metal drift boat, tie it off on take-out paved incline or you will be chasing it down river.

I don't work here but Mike Watson Welding in Bluff City TN might have something in the shop being built now you would be interested. He doesn't advertise, too busy. Will pm info if asked.

I did look at those cylinder spike anchors. I chose the pyramid one because of it's compact shape. In rocky bottoms, it will concentrate the weight at one point and sandy/gravel bottoms it's shape will act like a plow.
Being galvanized, I hope I won't get rust stains on my carpet.

Having used both anchors in many bottom structures and river conditions, the toothed anchor is a bit better holder and easier to un-stick in rocky ledges. Twenty pounds is minimum weight for our 14ft hulls, we are in some heavy river waters, and never anchor down in a swift run.

The pyramid hits point down and lays on its side. Ours are cast steel with a coating, not much rust showing. To travel inside the cockpit when trailered, using a heavy plastic milk crate for either (from a big box store). Got tired of the mud and such and cut a diamond shaped, just smaller size, hole in the rear fender step with angle welded at the top sides for reinforcing, drop the anchor in and fits like a glove.

Our boats have an anchor arm that cleats the line, so the anchor is never in the boat while underway. These are the same anchor arm on bow and stern.

Attachments

• jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-starboard-quarter-anchor-release-wpblog.jpg
    jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-starboard-quarter-anchor-release-wpblog.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-bow-anchor-release-rope-locker-wpblog1.jpg
    jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-bow-anchor-release-rope-locker-wpblog1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,597

Latest posts