3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rule of thumb is a gallon per hour per 10hp at WOT. So a 3 gallon would roughly give you 2 hours at wide open throttle.
Unfortunately the 3 gal tanks aren't half the price of a 6.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

had a 30 hp tohatsu 4 stroke. came with a 6 gal tank. took up too much room. went to a 3 gallon and never looked back. actually never used the 6 gallon. motor used very little gas . so, all u need is the 3

Rule of thumb is HP/10 = GPH burned. This assumes you're at planing speed. It's surprisingly accurate for my boat.

I have a 6 gallon tank and usually carry a second 5 gallon gas can to refill the main tank if needed. Hipster said he ditched the 6 gal tank for a 3 gallon. He feels comfortable with 3 gallons, I want at least 10 gallons. So it depends on how far you plan to go.

Depends on how far you plan on going.

3 gal with a 15hp 4 stroke is going to net you about 1.5-1.8 GPH on average. With that, you can run about 2 hours on a 3 gal tank. If your boat goes 20 mph, that's 40 miles (give or take).

I can tell you from my own experience that a 25hp (I know we're not talking about a 25...used as an example only), running 2 hours straight at full throttle with a tiller steered outboard is a LONG time. Most of the places around here have a ramp somewhere else that can put you closer to your "hole". I've done it and after a long run like that, your arm is tired from steering and throttling, and I ain't in no mood to fish after a run like that. For runs like that I'd just as soon get a larger boat with a console steer and more power/speed.

I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.

LDUBS said:
PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.

That is a VERY important consideration

I would go 3 gal. Condensation is your enemy so no matter which size you choose try to keep it full.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i ran a 30 hp tohatsu efi 4 stroke on my 1648 mv. tiller. for a single day outing i never used up a 3 gal tank. when i went on a multiple day trip i would take an extra 2 gallons. my 30 used very little gas, i cant stress that enough. some of my multi day trips i would go 60 miles w 3 guys. if u can u also put in at ramps closer to where u want to fish. the other great thing as stated above is u dont worry about ethanol w a 3 gal tank. u can use it in ur vehicles if u cant get out for an extended time. gas never goes bad.when i had 3 guys in my boat , which i often did on multi day trips, i would use more gas. never ever worried about going dry,w a 30 hp.heck u can throw an extra 1 gal tank in the boat and take up less room then a 6 gal.

LDUBS said:
I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

That's exactly what I did on my 12ft jon. Always carried a spare gallon can. Never needed it, but it was only a 5.5 hp.

I now use the 3 gallon as a spare on my 1751 blazer with a 60/40.

As stated before you cycle through gas. Another benefit is the weight.

Hear is the 3 gallon I have had since 2012.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/scepter-marine-3-2-gallon-portable-fuel-tank/

Riverdog said:
LDUBS said:

That's exactly what I did on my 12ft jon. Always carried a spare gallon can. Never needed it, but it was only a 5.5 hp.

here's my 3 gal tank for my 1955 evinrude 15 hp

Attachments

• 100_0199.JPG
    100_0199.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,512
1960 yellowboat said:
Riverdog said:
LDUBS said:

here's my 3 gal tank for my 1955 evinrude 15 hp

I had that same Scepter brand 3 gallon tank.

Weight is another benefit for sure. I currently have a 12 gallon "portable" tank. It never leaves the boat.

I would go three gallon for sure. Both boats I've owned had six and gas would get condensation and never came close to burning even a gallon on an outing. Three would be better for weight, room, and keeping it fresh. Old boat was a 15hp 2 smoke and new one is a 25 efi 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is insane. It is such a miser on fuel I wouldn't feel bad shoving off with only three gallons anywhere.

RiverLife said:
I would go three gallon for sure. Both boats I've owned had six and gas would get condensation and never came close to burning even a gallon on an outing. Three would be better for weight, room, and keeping it fresh. Old boat was a 15hp 2 smoke and new one is a 25 efi 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is insane. It is such a miser on fuel I wouldn't feel bad shoving off with only three gallons anywhere.

Agreed. I have a 30 HP efi 4 stroke. Came with a 6 gallon tank, but I could easily run all day long on 3 gallons.
That thing sips gas, and much quieter than my old 30hp Johnny.

jasper60103 said:
RiverLife said:

Agreed. I have a 30 HP efi 4 stroke. Came with a 6 gallon tank, but I could easily run all day long on 3 gallons.
How do you find it power wise compared to the old johnny? I realize that 30hp is 30hp, just curious if the new motors have some hidden jam.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
jasper60103 said:
RiverLife said:

How do you find it power wise compared to the old johnny? I realize that 30hp is 30hp, just curious if the new motors have some hidden jam.

I never put a tach or GPS on the new one, but WOT feels scary fast.
Also, I have the new motor on a different boat so it wouldn't be a accurate comparison.

a 2 stroke carbureted outboard is going to use approx 25% to 50% more fuel than the same horsepower EFI 4 stroke. Personal experience, 25hp.

I would expect about 1.5 gallons per hour at full throttle from a 15 4 stroke. I have a 20 Tohatsu and it uses about 1.6

My full throttle speed is 23 mph. So I figure I have a 30 mile range with a three gal tank, double that with six, this is with a reserve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts