12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am (besides being a little late to the conversation) extremely impressed with the creativity of the work on this boat. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I am particularly impressed with the "field" engineered from available stuff motor. Done a few things myself that generated more than one "WHY ?".

Since 50% ++ of my time on the water is just me, and I am a small water guy, I was thinking about starting a 12' tinnie project. I have a nice older larger boat for when company wants to come to fish with me, but I would just prefer the simplicity of a small, built for me by me fishing boat.

So, now, the question that comes first is, "What vintage 12' boat to procure to get my project off the ground. I need opinions from the experts and not so experts who contribute to this awesome sites forums. I would plan to strip it down to bare aluminum and, if need be, rebuild the transom so I don't need a pretty looking old girl to get me going.

I have no preconceived favorites, I just want an older timer that is rugged and stable. Both this SeaKing and the contributors StarCraft look like nice boats.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure this is the best forum to ask for this input, so I would also be grateful for any suggestions as for other forums or sites to plead for input. Input as to where other than this site or Craigslist to find my project starter would also be appreciated. I live in Wisconsin within site of the Mighty Mississippi, north of Lacrosse, so any leads for me nearer by would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Kyle Anderson

skanders01 said:
I am (besides being a little late to the conversation) extremely impressed with the creativity of the work on this boat. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I am particularly impressed with the "field" engineered from available stuff motor. Done a few things myself that generated more than one "WHY ?".

Since 50% ++ of my time on the water is just me, and I am a small water guy, I was thinking about starting a 12' tinnie project. I have a nice older larger boat for when company wants to come to fish with me, but I would just prefer the simplicity of a small, built for me by me fishing boat.

So, now, the question that comes first is, "What vintage 12' boat to procure to get my project off the ground. I need opinions from the experts and not so experts who contribute to this awesome sites forums. I would plan to strip it down to bare aluminum and, if need be, rebuild the transom so I don't need a pretty looking old girl to get me going.

I have no preconceived favorites, I just want an older timer that is rugged and stable. Both this SeaKing and the contributors StarCraft look like nice boats.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure this is the best forum to ask for this input, so I would also be grateful for any suggestions as for other forums or sites to plead for input. Input as to where other than this site or Craigslist to find my project starter would also be appreciated. I live in Wisconsin within site of the Mighty Mississippi, north of Lacrosse, so any leads for me nearer by would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Kyle Anderson

Well, since you said any input is appreciated I'll chip in. Just keep in mind I fall into the "Not so expert" category. Lol

A motivating factor for me to do what you are talking about would be the project itself. That and having a boat that is customized 100% to my preferences.

Beyond that, when talking about going out solo, I see little advantage to trailering a 12' boat vs a 14', 16' or 18' boat. On the water, I think there is very little advantage to a 12' boat vs a 16' boat but there is a lot of advantage for a 16 footer over a 12 footer.

So, I guess my thinking is go bigger if you can. Enjoy the project.

Latest posts