Do you own, or consider owning a jump starter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
A long, but well done, video comparison of many Lithium starters. I have an off-brand in each car and my boats, too. Never had to use them yet, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=JN8A2nIMUWA&feature=emb_logo

I keep one in the pick-up too. Bought it at Costco. Don't remember the name. I haven't had to use it yet and hopefully never will. But, if I ever get to the ramp and find I have a dead battery, it will hopefully do the job.

I have one, it replaced one that finally bit the dust. If you have multiple vehicles (farm) they are indispensable.

Yeah I keep one in the truck. Supposedly it will start the truck (diesel/two batteries). I haven't tried yet but it WILL start the tractor. It goes in the boat when I'm fishing. New motor has backup recoil start so I am not too concerned about it but I still keep it with me. I forget what brand, I think seizmik but I don't remember.

I don't currently have one, but I think I'll shop around for one to put into the boat - in the off chance it's needed to get you home, it's short money as an insurance plan

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing that video. I've been wanting to get a compact charger mostly for snowmobiling as my sled doesn't have a recoil, but my boat does. Also be handy to charge phones on our fishing trips. Not to mention the car.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have two. One for my truck/boat and the other for my wife's car. It has saved me twice. Once when my truck battery was dead. It started my 5.4 liter V8 several times that day until I could get to Auto Zone for a new battery. Also saved a day of fishing when after I got everything unloaded and ready to head up river my batteries where shot and wouldn't start the outboard. Was able to get it started several times and go fishing. Although it was a little rough river smallmouth fishing without a trolling motor, it was better than having to pack up and head back home. Won't be without a portable jump starter in my vehicles or boat.

I got the noco model on sale. Keep it in the truck. And take it with me in the boat.

My smaller boat has a pull start backup!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i went to a 3 battery setup. have a 2 bank. always had the starting battery on my charger till then. hid the fact that my starting battery was dying. sure enough first cold day it wouldnt turn over. boat was still on trailer at ramp. i keep a larger jump pack in my truck. stanley 1000amp w the built in compressor. jumped battery went fishing. had to use it twice that day. really too big too keep on boat. going to a 3 bank charger this winter. i will be picking up a small jump pack for the boat. got a noco 2 bank, gonna replace w 3 bank. in my opinion the jump pack are cheap insurance

A number of guys in our little 40 man fishing club bought these things. I can't tell you how many times one or another guy helped another boater get their motors started.

I carry one of these in each car/van; plus one on the boat....AND...a set of jumper cables. I never had to use any of them, and I hope it stays that way.

I do have a reminder on my phone's calendar to charge them monthly. Most of the time, they are still 100% but I put them on for a half-hour anyhow.

The little g.a. airport I work for has a lot of machines that sit for months, so, weak batteries are very common. We'd be in a serious bind without them. We keep one for re-fuelers, one for mowing machines, and one for vehicles / tenants. I have one that travels with me, along with jumper cables.

Kinda sorta related. Last thing I want is to show up at the ramp with a dead battery. Do they make some kind of trickle charger from the car to the trailer/boat battery? So, the battery would get some charge, if needed, whilst towing the boat to the ramp. Not sure I"m explaining this well.

Anyway, if they don't, one of you guys should run with it and make some dough. Just share some royalties with Rich and me! :LOL2:

I've thought of the same thing. Doing some reading, it sounded like the small amount of added juice in a short time drive wouldn't justify messing with your car's electrical system. All sorts of warnings about over-drawing the cars power system told me to leave it alone. My boat is kept about a mile from home. I often go and plug the charger in the night before an outing. Coupled with the above mentioned chargers..and jumper cables..should be enough.

I have multiple:
The Viking from Harbor Freight--got it on sale/with coupon for cheap--it works as long as the battery being jumped isn't completely drained
A smaller Everstart Lithium, and the large Everstart with tire inflator.

Also have two older Black and Decker portable power stations.

If you do a good job of charging the jump starter batteries once a month, they last a long time.
Very useful for road trips, tire inflation, and charging other devices like hand held marine radios, etc.

I've found these are very helpful, but typically the damage is done by the time you need them. In my experience, I keep a spare car around my house, as I hate worrying that one car will break and I'll have to buy a replacement ASAP. The problem with this was the battery in spare car would drain while sitting for months/years. I could jump it, but the battery was damaged from overly deep cycling. I tried one of those solar battery maintainers, and now the spare car is all charged up and ready to go whenever I need it. Might get one for the boat to power little accessories with the motors off.

(I'm fairly close to the tropic of cancer line, so your experiences may vary)

richg99 said:
I've thought of the same thing. Doing some reading, it sounded like the small amount of added juice in a short time drive wouldn't justify messing with your car's electrical system. All sorts of warnings about over-drawing the cars power system told me to leave it alone. My boat is kept about a mile from home. I often go and plug the charger in the night before an outing. Coupled with the above mentioned chargers..and jumper cables..should be enough.

Thanks Rich, that makes a lot of sense. One of these jump starters, not to mention the emergency pull rope, is a lot cheaper than messing with my vehicle's electrical system.

Latest posts