Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My original thought was to just make two big notches in the board so it wrapped around the benches instead of went behind them. The knee brace would need to be wiggled and the bottom of the board might need to be cut with a beveled edge to get it in.

But, I think I have a better idea.

Rip the transom board into three strips. If the board was cut vertically, you lose strength but cutting the board horizontally won't effect stiffness - at least not very much. So, rip the transom into three horizontal boards. Insert the top and bottom boards into the j-channels and then slip in the middle piece. A couple of vertical nailers with stainless screws ties everything together.

transom_boards.jpg

Might be easier to pull the top cap and corners off so you can slide a correct dimensioned piece in. Cost of welding the the top cap and corners back on would be the issue. i have no idea what something like that might run.

Thanks for the input guys. MaintenaceGuy, I like your input and appreciate the detailed drawing. Very nice and great idea!

Latest posts