Top or side mount controls?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveEagle225

Reaction score
Can’t find anything close to the center console I want that will work with my 16’ Express, so I have decided to build my own.

Since I am moving from tiller to a front center console, I have to source both steering and motor controls. I am planning to order a new motor and controls. At this point gravitating towards a Mercury 40hp Jet... FWIW

If you were starting from scratch, would you want top mount (binnacle) controls, or sidemount that attach to the side of the console? Pro vs con for each?

Here's a 16' Xpress that someone else posted up previous with a forward console but it looks like a fiberglass console. It's tough to tell but if there is room next to the steering wheel to mount a binnacle control, that would work great. If you had to mount up top, the windshield would get in the way. Here's a picture of my old Hobie Power Skiff that had the binnacle mounted up top and I would hit my knuckles on the windshield. So the design of the console will make a difference but I think the binnacle mount is preferred. I do snag on my side mount control on my boat from time to time.

Attachments

• Hobie3.jpg
    Hobie3.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 249
I had a boat that started as a bare hull and my dealer added a center console. I let him choose where the motor control was mounted. Because my console isn’t very wide, it looks like the side mount was the only choice.

Attachments

• ED1D3695-FE6B-43B5-9905-99135BE3DEBC.jpeg
    ED1D3695-FE6B-43B5-9905-99135BE3DEBC.jpeg
    619.6 KB · Views: 247
I would go with a side mount. To me, having a little more distance seems more balanced. Especially when you're in a situation where you might want one hand on the steering wheel and one on the throttle.

Kind of like driving a car with a four speed.

Scott F said:
I had a boat that started as a bare hull and my dealer added a center console. I let him choose where the motor control was mounted. Because my console isn’t very wide, it looks like the side mount was the only choice.

Sorry for the hijack, are those snap on covers custom made?

Riverdog said:
Scott F said:

Sorry for the hijack, are those snap on covers custom made?

Yep. Tracy’s Custom Riverboats in Newaygo MI. did all the work. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs custom work done on a tin boat.

Latest posts