Compass necessity?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
How many of you carry one or have one mounted in your boat with you?

I don't have a traditional magnetic compass. I do have GPS on my fishfinder with Navionics maps that cover any area that I will ever find myself. I also have a compass app on my iPhone.

I have a gps/chart plotter mounted on top of my side console. I also keep a paper map and a compass in my emergency kit. It's awfully easy to get lost in the winding salt marsh creeks where we crab and fish. It's miles and miles of twists, turns, and side creeks that all look exactly alike. I really depend on the chart plotter and hope I never need the map.

If you have EVER gotten caught on a large body of water in the fog you have some type of navigational tool to get you back to where you want to go.

LDUBS said:
I don't have a traditional magnetic compass. I do have GPS on my fishfinder with Navionics maps that cover any area that I will ever find myself. I also have a compass app on my iPhone.

Isn't technology nice? :mrgreen:

maintenanceguy said:
I have a gps/chart plotter mounted on top of my side console. I also keep a paper map and a compass in my emergency kit. It's awfully easy to get lost in the winding salt marsh creeks where we crab and fish. It's miles and miles of twists, turns, and side creeks that all look exactly alike. I really depend on the chart plotter and hope I never need the map.

This sounds like what I imagine most boaters hope for. It's kind of like having a gas outboard, trolling motor and if those two fail, the oars.

nccatfisher said:
If you have EVER gotten caught on a large body of water in the fog you have some type of navigational tool to get you back to where you want to go.

Fortunately for me I don't go on any lakes that are terribly large but I completely agree with you. It pays to have the right tool for your predicament.

One of the lakes I fish commonly during the summer will fog over something bad. My boat's 15' length and there are times when I can't see the bow (no, really). Navigating can be tough. I mean I "think" I know the lake but there have been times when I've been running along (at idle or just above) and found myself inches away from the bank, or rocks. It's easier than you think to do it.

Compass? Yep I carry one. Cheap magnetic, but it works. There's a few things I carry, just in case. Not a lot and it don't take up much space but yes a compass is one of them. Multi-tool, etc. Lost the pickup tube off of my portable fuel tank in the middle of the river once. With a multi-tool and McGyvering, I had it going in 10 minutes. Pulled cowling off, removed a clamp from a water hose, clamped the tube in the tank back on and screwd the pickup assembly back down. Motor leaked a little water but it at least ran.

The phone has a decent GPS built into it. Problem is, the phone is electronic. Electronics fail more often than magnetic compasses do. And yeah my phone has failed me once.

Similarly, pilots carrying paper sectional maps. They can't always depend on GPS (if they have it).

turbotodd said:
One of the lakes I fish commonly during the summer will fog over something bad. My boat's 15' length and there are times when I can't see the bow (no, really). Navigating can be tough. I mean I "think" I know the lake but there have been times when I've been running along (at idle or just above) and found myself inches away from the bank, or rocks. It's easier than you think to do it.

I grew up in an area that gets heavy tule fog. There is nothing worse. Anyway, one of the lakes I go to gets heavy fog. I understand completely what you mean about how tuff it is in that stuff. It is easy to get completely disoriented in the soup. The GPS/Nav sure makes a difference. But as you know there is still a need to go slow. And, if there is some knucklehead out there without any sense we hopefully will hear them coming.

LDUBS said:
And, if there is some knucklehead out there without any sense we hopefully will hear them coming.

That's one of the only things that I find "good" about a 2 stroke outboard. Hear it a mile away (usually). Or two miles if it's a jet.

I mainly rely on my knowledge of the river and the gps/chartplotter when running at night, it can get foggy at times where you cant see the front of the boat. When that happens I am sure to take it very slow and work off gps. I am going to install a compass on my new boat this year but if it gets bad enough then I will head for shore, tie up and wait out the fog.

The fog is nothing to mess around with because it is far too easy to get spun around quickly and have no clue where you are.

turbotodd said:

That would be a bad day on the water if you put a nice big gash or hole in your boat :/

jrjr12 said:
I mainly rely on my knowledge of the river and the gps/chartplotter when running at night, it can get foggy at times where you cant see the front of the boat. When that happens I am sure to take it very slow and work off gps. I am going to install a compass on my new boat this year but if it gets bad enough then I will head for shore, tie up and wait out the fog.

The fog is nothing to mess around with because it is far too easy to get spun around quickly and have no clue where you are.

Waiting out the really bad stuff is probably the best option. I can see getting turned around and lost on a large river being especially problematic.

I got lost in the fog on the Ohio River once because my GPS stopped tracking from the heavy fog. After that, I installed a dash mounted compass. Twice since then I have had different GPS's stop tracking in heavy fog and a compass saved my arse. I will never own a boat without a compass on it.

OMG, it's an absolute nessecity for me. Here in NH all the markers and nav aids are based on knowing what way you are travelling. I'd go through a whole bunch more props if I didn't use a compass. I have a big chartplotter too, but the compass is just as important.

Latest posts