Flywheel wobbling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think when he says new flywheel he means a used one off a parts motor. There on tons of used parts for these motors on Ebay and other places that are in great shape. So many of these still kicking that the parts demand is high so people strip down and part out perfectly running motors because they can make more money that way vs selling a running motor. I actually may have a flywheel you need myself. I can look later this afternoon when I quit "working from home" for the day.

Smutty said:
Yea I’m afraid it’s the flywheel too I’m been looking for a used one somewhere cause for 800-900$ I’ll just go buy another motor instead of a new flywheel and please explain when you say pull apart the taper I don’t know a whole lot bout flywheel

The portion of the crankshaft where the key way is cut is a certain type of taped called a locking taper. Basically once torqued down The two mating tapers align everything and lock together.

With the way that key looks I would find a new key and carefully reseat everything and see if things improve.

it kinda looks like it got trapped and crushed at one time.

Could be the cause of you wobbles.

Looking at the pics again(on I pone) it looks like you did not have the flywheel aligned and sheared the key forcing it down into the seal.

This could be good or bad or terrible. #-o

Good, you need to replace the key and everything else is OKish.

Bad, you wiped out the upper seal which is cheap but a pita to replace.

Bad, you wiped out the seal, your flywheel and some of your ignition.

Lots of metal and magnet pieces stuck all over.

Pick that piece of key out of the top seal, clean out all of the metal/magnet slivers with compressed air and put in a new key, carefully aligning the key and flywheel when reassembling and see what’s what.

RaisedByWolves said:
Looking at the pics again(on I pone) it looks like you did not have the flywheel aligned and sheared the key forcing it down into the seal.

This could be good or bad or terrible. #-o

Good, you need to replace the key and everything else is OKish.

Bad, you wiped out the upper seal which is cheap but a pita to replace.

Bad, you wiped out the seal, your flywheel and some of your ignition.

Lots of metal and magnet pieces stuck all over.

Pick that piece of key out of the top seal, clean out all of the metal/magnet slivers with compressed air and put in a new key, carefully aligning the key and flywheel when reassembling and see what’s what.
Yea I picked the motor up at my sisters house it’s been spitting idk for how long that’s what it looked like when I pulled it off I cleaned everything on it nice and carefully their with a lil silk cloth and quetip And pulled the piece out that seal and I still have good compression and everything after that I pulled the timing base off and got a metal grinding compound to take all the groves off I put it on without the key and spun it for a few minutes same direction I did it I think 2 times stuck a new key on and Slid the flywheel to check make sure everything fitted properly then put the timingbase back on and slowly put the flywheel on and torqued it to 70 foot pounds the video is what it was doin after all that :/

RaisedByWolves said:
Smutty said:
Yea I’m afraid it’s the flywheel too I’m been looking for a used one somewhere cause for 800-900$ I’ll just go buy another motor instead of a new flywheel and please explain when you say pull apart the taper I don’t know a whole lot bout flywheel

The portion of the crankshaft where the key way is cut is a certain type of taped called a locking taper. Basically once torqued down The two mating tapers align everything and lock together.

With the way that key looks I would find a new key and carefully reseat everything and see if things improve.

it kinda looks like it got trapped and crushed at one time.

Could be the cause of you wobbles.
Yea I picked the motor up at my sisters house it’s been spitting idk for how long that’s what it looked like when I pulled it off I cleaned everything on it nice and carefully their with a lil silk cloth and quetip And pulled the piece out that seal and I still have good compression and everything after that I pulled the timing base off and got a metal grinding compound to take all the groves off I put it on without the key and spun it for a few minutes same direction I did it I think 2 times stuck a new key on and Slid the flywheel to check make sure everything fitted properly then put the timingbase back on and slowly put the flywheel on and torqued it to 70 foot pounds the video is what it was doin after all that :/

wmk0002 said:
I think when he says new flywheel he means a used one off a parts motor. There on tons of used parts for these motors on Ebay and other places that are in great shape. So many of these still kicking that the parts demand is high so people strip down and part out perfectly running motors because they can make more money that way vs selling a running motor. I actually may have a flywheel you need myself. I can look later this afternoon when I quit "working from home" for the day.
Well if you don’t mind checking when you get the chance it would be very appreciated

I suspect that the flywheel may have rotated during installation due to the crankshaft being lubricated.When torqueing the new flywheel it would be wise to immobilize the flywheel.
Your motor being the lightest 25 is very sought after by flats fishermen and will fetch a good price if you ever choose to upgrade. m.w.

Going by your photos of the initial inspection, I would say somebody in the past has had it apart and didn't torque it properly, and the flywheel has spun on the crank, and the mating surfaces are damaged/worn away.

I would grab a used flywheel, a new key, and clean everything up really well, see if it stays tight and runs true.

Smutty said:
wmk0002 said:
Well if you don’t mind checking when you get the chance it would be very appreciated

I looked and don't have one. Thought I did, but the few I have are all OMCs.

Latest posts