Boat motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffhughes

Reaction score
I have a 1976 lowe jumbo V john boat, its completely original and I was wondering if a 25hp motor is to big for it. I had a 1956 Johnson sea horse 10hp on it but it would not plane it out, it would stand it up and I was unable to see to steer so I went with a bigger motor to get to plane but found out also that my 10hp is a long shaft and my boat requires a short shaft. New to the boating world so any help would be greatly appreciated.

A long shaft would definitely give you more bow lift. You didn't mention if it's a 14 or 16 but either way a 25 will suffice. I'm a big fan of the Johnson Evinrude 521cc motors made for many years. I've had good luck with them. Weight distribution is also a big factor in getting a boat to plane. I've had a couple 14 ft boats that I had to use a hydrofoil on the motor to get them to pop up on plane. But that's a discussion for after you get a new motor. A lot of people will tell you to go four stroke. While a four stroke is a sweet motor, they weigh a lot more than the older 2 strokes. I'd be looking for a mid 90's johnnyrude.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats__Jumbo_V__1976/bp/34br2000s12229y

jumbo is 16ft.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats__1976/bp/54br2000y

Be safe.

It is just a 14ft V-hull is what the title says, I have already got me another motor and it is a lot heavier then my 10hp but with me and just one other person I think I should be ok. I'm not taking it out on super big water anyways, just fishing the lakes and rivers around here in south eastern ky and a few trips to Wise Lake in Alabama each year

going to get the motor put on this weekend while off work and then ill post some pics. thanks for all the input you all are giving me. I really need it being new to the whole boating thing now.

Latest posts