Trailer bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hdenter

Reaction score
Hello!

Nube to this forum and powered boat ownership. I have really enjoyed the help and camaraderie on a VW forum for Vanagons and hope to find that here as well! I recently acquired a valco westcoaster 16 foot. It came on a trailer that is old and rusty and is much heavier than necessary. I I've come across a trailer that is more appropriate in weight for a good deal. However, the old trailer utilized bunks to support the main weight at the back of the boat. The new trailer has four sets of rollers mounted on a pivoting mechanism. I can see the advantage of the pivot system, but I'm concerned about the pressure points created by the hull sitting on rollers. Is this a legitimate concern? Should I think about getting rid of the rollers and installing bunks? Thanks for your help, and yes, I will try to figure out how to post pictures.

Hans

Hdenter said:
Hello!

Nube to this forum and powered boat ownership. I have really enjoyed the help and camaraderie on a VW forum for Vanagons and hope to find that here as well! I recently acquired a valco westcoaster 16 foot. It came on a trailer that is old and rusty and is much heavier than necessary. I I've come across a trailer that is more appropriate in weight for a good deal. However, the old trailer utilized bunks to support the main weight at the back of the boat. The new trailer has four sets of rollers mounted on a pivoting mechanism. I can see the advantage of the pivot system, but I'm concerned about the pressure points created by the hull sitting on rollers. Is this a legitimate concern? Should I think about getting rid of the rollers and installing bunks? Thanks for your help, and yes, I will try to figure out how to post pictures.

Hans

I think it is a very legitimate concern for exactly the reason you give. I would definitely replace the rollers with bunks.

BTW, that is a nice boat. Congrats.

My trailer came with rollers that I used for a few years before converting it over to bunks. The bunks sit lower, provide a more even surface to support the boat and it actually loads easier with the bunks.

Attachments

• trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 435
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 435
Hdenter said:
I'm concerned about the pressure points created by the hull sitting on rollers.

rollers are great for heavy fiberglass hulls, but really aren't appropriate for aluminum boats. just make some bunks using regular 2x4 or 2x6 lumber and wax them if you want to winch easily when retrieving on shallow ramps. Also, be sure to have your bunks extend past the transom to reduce denting.

post pics!

Cheers, Brian

Thanks, good to know. I had planned to make sure the end of the trailer was exposed so that I could do one of those support rods to the outboard. I'll make sure the bunks come all the way out the back.

Hans

Here’s another for bunks. I ran a 77 long trailer with rollers on my last boat. The only way I know off to do it without causing a hook in the Hull is to land the rollers on top of the strakes of the boat. If you have them . Ran. A 1448 weld built mod v for almost 10 years launching on average 40 times a year never did I once hook my hull. Bunks on the new trailer and boat . I silicone my bunks now . The boat slides on and off super easy .

Latest posts