Bench seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramp

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have this 12’ crestliner . The bench seat wood Hass to be replaced. Looking at the old wood it had some sort of foam and vinyl covering. Since I have to replace the word I have the option of doing whatever, finished wood, painted same color as the inside, Carpeted, recovered??
Just wondered what the group thought. Leaning Toward finished Wood

Tramp said:
Hi everyone. I have this 12’ crestliner . The bench seat wood Hass to be replaced. Looking at the old wood it had some sort of foam and vinyl covering. Since I have to replace the word I have the option of doing whatever, finished wood, painted same color as the inside, Carpeted, recovered??
Just wondered what the group thought. Leaning Toward finished Wood

Attachments

• C720D019-E284-4268-AC01-D67263067A36.jpeg
    C720D019-E284-4268-AC01-D67263067A36.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 328
You're at the fun part, deciding what you want. Urethane on wood is always popular, and looks great. Or hydroturf or seadek if you want minimal padding and easy cleanup.

Post pics of your progress!

Cheers, B

It looks like you don't have the old wood, that's too bad because it can make a nice template for cutting the new ones. be sure to fill those bench seats with closed cell foam before capping them with wood. I used a B grade ply for mine when I did them because I was staining and varnishing. they came out really beautiful and had a little shine on the 4 coats of urethane we put on. make sure to do all sides so it can't take in water from underneath. I'll see if I can find a pic from the one I did 4 years ago, the kids helped and had a blast, took us about 4 hours start to finish

Colorado1135 said:
It looks like you don't have the old wood, that's too bad because it can make a nice template for cutting the new ones. be sure to fill those bench seats with closed cell foam before capping them with wood. I used a B grade ply for mine when I did them because I was staining and varnishing. they came out really beautiful and had a little shine on the 4 coats of urethane we put on. make sure to do all sides so it can't take in water from underneath. I'll see if I can find a pic from the one I did 4 years ago, the kids helped and had a blast, took us about 4 hours start to finish
I do still have the old ones. Kinda rotted.
Got any pics ?

I can't find any pics, but if you have the old bench seats then you've got a perfect template. Trace them onto new plywood and sand them really well and round the edges. Stain to your liking and put a few coats of varnish on them and screw them into place. Mine had holes in the tin for screws and I used stainless screws. I had to replace the foam but you might not need to. Take lots of pics, that's my biggest regret of all the mods I've done to boats.

Latest posts