Where to mount transducer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterguy86

Reaction score
32df42e0cf869439a668c7be35f7cb2d.jpg

I’m about to repower this 2001 1450 xpress with a new Yamaha F25 tiller and purchase a new depth finder. I’m thinking Lowrance hook2 7 triple shot but still have more research to do.

I’m looking for advise on transducer mounting. The jack plate and sponsons, which are both staying, make things difficult.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be able to use a thru-hull transducer. See if the unit you want can use one.

I prefer to have them on either corner on the boat.

In your situation, I would probably put them a couple inches up on the end of the sponson, but if you run a lot of shallow water, and have no need for side imaging, a thru hull transducer may be preferable.

If your running side imaging I would put it on the jack plate . 2d I would go with a thru hull or and in hull alumaducer. I would think you could mount a ducer on one of the pods and get a clean reading.

I do plan on running side and down imaging so I think through the hull is out.

This boat has and will see skinny saltwater, fishing Texas back bays.

I also plan to fish Texas lakes and rivers as well.

I don't know how your boat has everything situated but I've seen some that mount to the trolling motor.

eeshaw said:
I don't know how your boat has everything situated but I've seen some that mount to the trolling motor.
I did this with my old fish finder. It worked ok but I was hoping to be able to scan for structure before deciding to shut down and fish.

If your going to be in skinny water the jack plate is one of the best places for it . IMHO
It protects it from objects. When scanning you will be at really slow speeds 5 mph or less to get good images. When on plane either on the pod or a through hull is about your only choice for a clean 2d when running

Latest posts