Possible project with leaks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Brewing

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first time posting but I have already got a lot of great info here. I am planning to build a small fishing boat and really excited about the project. I am in the process of buying a boat but it has issues that worry me that I was hoping you could help me with. It is a 12' Klamath semi-V. I put it in the water today and there are three leeks. It is not riveted, but it does have a seam that runs along the bottom of the sides. There is a strip along that seam on the inside that is splitting. Two under the center bench on each side and on more just forward of it. I think I should be able to seal it up with some brazing rods or welding, but I am concerned that is may easily split again. Also, could this be indicative of a larger problem like buckling? I am looking for some advise of weather it is worth repairing and restoring or I should just get out from under it and find a better starting point for my project? I do really like the style of this boat a lot though I do kinda wish it was a bit longer. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200730_093145.jpg
    20200730_093145.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 221
  • 20200730_093131.jpg
    20200730_093131.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 221
  • 20200730_092954.jpg
    20200730_092954.jpg
    10.8 MB · Views: 221
  • 20200730_092934.jpg
    20200730_092934.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 221
LC Brewing said:
Also, could this be indicative of a larger problem like buckling?
I believe so yes, I have seen many boats, even many fiberglass hulls, with localized stress and/or stress cracks to damaged cracks (with extensive damage in that area), the area from mid-hull (lengthwise) to 1/3rd of the way back from the bow.

When the hull slams into the water at speed, the water is hard, even though the water gives away some, but the hull and sides will flex and bend and 'may' crack at those points, where the hull is essentially trying to collapse on itself. See the far right DWG in the sketch attached, I wonder if someone really rode that hull hard or loaded it heavy, possibly with a higher HP motor and where the hull tried to 'go wide' - due to stresses, but it couldn't - so it cracked! That area, called the 'garboard' in marine terms, is like the center keel in that it helps form or provide the backbone of the hull, as that ties the running bottom to the sides (gunwhales).

See my many posts about using G-Flex 650, a flexible epoxy by West Systems, on cracked tin. There are even PDFs of an aluminum canoe repair with pictures. That said, unless a really good Pro did it ... I myself have zero faith in tin weld/braze repairs, especially anything DIY. I can count on zero fingers the # of tin boat weld repairs I've seen that have worked ...

Stresses on a Tin Boat.jpg

I would look for a better boat. The last thing you need on your mind when trying to get back in rough conditions is how strong that repair was.

I wouldn't be scared of it at all if it were welded by a competent welder. I would bet that was caused by it setting full of water and freezing. That being the case nothing will stop that much pressure.

I have welded a few brand new boats that were similar to that that have set on boat yards in the weather for a year or two and busted exactly like that. They now store them upside down and don't have those issues.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting out from under it and got my money back. There was also an issue with the title and it has not been registered for many years. It does make sense about the ice, I never thought of that.
I think I would rather have something 14' instead so I am back to searching for the right one and in the mean time sell my canoe so i have a little more cash for something nicer. Thanks again!