Cone to rim?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Lug nuts....the cone or conical shape goes toward the rim to center the stud, correct?
Hope thats how it is, had a person(sales person) telling me otherwise today, now im not 100%. They were saying flat side to tbe rim, cone out.

yes conical side to rim on every trailer tire I have ever seen.

When you get into semi truck and and some cars they can have different styles of lug nuts but the typical "acorn" style nuts found on trailer are pointy end in.

Cone to rim.
Maybe call the sales persons boss and let them know their employ is tell costumers to do something unsafe.

I
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Cone to rim.
Maybe call the sales persons boss and let them know their employ is tell costumers to do something unsafe.
It was a RV trailer shop, really had me thinking I was wrong.Why would they even make them that way if it wasnt needed....anyways, glad im not totally crazy.
Thanks for the replies

Some lug nuts you can't even get the socket on the cone side. And the cone helps center the rim on the hub at each stud, you will notice that the rim will also have the appropriate female taper.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Definitely cone in to the rim, that's what holds your rim centered on the hub. It's called "lug-centric" some styles do have a flat nut or bolt and the center of the rim fits tight on the hub, that's called "hub-centric." Just learned this at a tire shop the other day [emoji4]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
And the cone helps center the rim on the hub at each stud, you will notice that the rim will also have the appropriate female taper.

I had purchased 4 new white slotted rims for a 78 Ford truck, after all the factory lug nuts I was using kept loosening up I finally realized that those rims didn't have the female taper like all the other steel rims that I had ever seen. After talking to someone else who had experienced the same problem, I ended up having to buy the long acorn lug nuts in order to keep that particular set of rims from coming loose.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Cone to rim.
This is why salesman are salesman, and mechanics are mechanics..

PaleShade said:
I've never encountered this before.
Its so obvious you probably didn't even know it was a thing! You will notice that most rims have a female taper around the stud, and that will fit the " proper" lug nut with a taper.

The lugs center the rim to the hubb.. not the large hub hole in the center- that means nothing.

Latest posts