Rick Clunn reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwork

Reaction score
I bought 3 purple Rick Clunn reels when they 50% at Basspro. This was around 2010. I put one on as a spinning reel. Recently gave one to the boy and one is still in the bag. I noticed all 3 are now sticky. Anyone?

After spending a half an hour talking to a guy at Basspro who has never seen this issue I had to figure out how this happened. The three reels purple and blue sat in a canvas type fishing bag without exposure to anything.

It dawned on me after the conversation. When you purchase a reel from Basspro they load your reel up with line of your chose and use a rubberband to hook the line to your reel to your ready to put it on a rod. Over the years of sitting the rubber band had weakened and broke. I assume it has a petroleum product in it that got on the reals or fumed off...

Funny, when I read your initial post I thought you meant the reels where not working properly -- like not operating smoothly. I see now you obviously meant they were literally sticky -- as in gooey. I hope it was as simple as some slime from the rubber bands.

Latest posts