Removing crease/scrape in an Aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowejumbo14

Reaction score
I have a 14 Lowe Jumbo semi-v boat that has a foot long indentation/scrape in the "V" of the bow. It really doesn't hurt the boat but bugs the Dickens out of me. Is there an easy way to heat and tap this crease out, or should I just let it alone.

Thanks,

A picture would help us advise you. Typically, a crease has stretched the metal, so it doesn't want to go back flat again. Trying to heat shrink aluminum is above my skill level. Maybe just fill it with epoxy & microbaloon aditive.

Not a good idea to heat aluminum. I would try using a heavy back-up block and a dead blow hammer to - gently - tap the crease out. Be patient and take your time. You can make it almost invisible.

I was going to say, "like a body shop guy does," then got the thought, why not tow it to a body shop and ask them how they'd go about it ??

P.S. CedarRiver is correct - the metal will stretch, but on something like that, maybe not too much. Keep in mind that the more you work it, the more it will stretch and the more it will work harden and be more difficult to work with.

I agree with all of the above, you'd be in a constant battle of annealing and forming ...some material will need to stretch and some will need to compress, which (having done it; look at my Starcraft transom replacement photos, where I was like a Medieval armor blacksmith!) 'compressing' tin is an absolute beyatch to accomplish on tin hulls.

Instead of a 'scar', you'll have an area that looks like a scar that was then pummeled to death AND beat to sh#t in the process. Thus, I'd leave well enough alone ...

CedarRiverScooter said:
A picture would help us advise you. Typically, a crease has stretched the metal, so it doesn't want to go back flat again. Trying to heat shrink aluminum is above my skill level. Maybe just fill it with epoxy & microbaloon aditive.

Very easy to fix, but leave the dent itself alone other than sanding it to remove the oxide layer. Fill it with aluminum body filler (like USC all-metal works good). If the dent is in an area where it's painted you can repaint the repair. If it's bare aluminum (which most hull sheets are), you'll have to paint the hull bottom with either aluminum or stainless steel paint to hide the repair area, and which also with a good quality paint makes the hull look like brand new.

As Dale said, this can be a cost-benefit equation, where the cost far exceeds the benefit.

Try and consider the crease as the nautical equivalent to a beauty mark on Cindy Crawford's face. Consider that it does not make the craft less beautiful, but shows its sea-worthiness and experience.

Stay safe.

Latest posts