Gregor 12 Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuhlman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just starting on replacing all the wood in this # B-123 #27174. Picked it up from my neighbor, its been sitting the last 25 years in his backyard. I last used it in 1995...Anyway the transom wood came out in pieces cuz I couldn't get it out any other way and was made up of three 1/2" pieces of exterior ply. I really don't know how old this boat is. The aluminum looks good underneath, so happy to see its not corroded much. I guess I'm going to do the "cut the knee braces" thing to get wood back in, I can't see any other way to do it unless one of you chaps has a better idea. Hopefully I'll post some more progress shots as I go along. I won't be working outside for a few days its supposed to be 106 or some hellish temp outside.

-BillIMG_6150.jpgIMG_6160.jpg

Don't cut the knees.
You have to remove the corner caps and transom cap.

Now IF you had the tooling and capability to re-rivet the knees, you could un-rivet them from the bottom, to get them out of the way and then 'possibly' put a new transom in from under and up.

My transom supports are welded to the bottom, not riveted. I don't have access to tig welding so I was thinking of cutting the braces and sandwiching them between 1/8" supports on each side. I know maybe its not best

Well, I actually once fabricated knees and put them in a boat ‘that didn’t have knees’ and it worked out great! The knees were supported by the transom and pushed against the floor. In your case, if you leave enough of the knees that are welded to the floor in place, that you can bolt into, you should be good to go!

Got the extra transom braces cut out, I wanted to get these cut and the holes drilled before I cut the welded in braces inside the boat so everything would line up correctly. I'm drilling everything out to 1/4" also.IMG_6182.jpg

Had a heck of a time with this but its pretty much done. The aluminum side supports worked great. Used two 3/4" pieces of oak ply glued together for the transom. IMG_6233.jpg

Latest posts