Beginner Telescope advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter wants a telescope, she is 12 years old. Do we have any folks who are into this and can make a recommendation?

I am looking for one that is portable and easy to set up and align to the stars, planets, and moon. I am not looking to spend more than $300 on this first one.

She told me when she grows up, she wants to work for NASA. :D

Thanks,
Jim

I was into stargazing in my younger years. I have a Tasco 60mmX900mm focal length Refractor telescope. It is a very nice telescope for the price. It even has the plates that you can set up to see sunspots on the surface of the sun. I have had it for years and break it out every now and then to see the sights. I have a link to what I have. It has served me very well.

https://tasco.com/telescopes/luminova-900mm-x-60mm-refractor-telescope/

I assume those knobs are for fine tuning in order to center an image. Must be difficult considering the distances involved. Here comes the dumb question! With that Tasco telescope in the link, are you able to see the rings of Saturn?

It would be cool to include a bracket so you could take pics through the telescope with a smart phone.

The knobs are so you can follow stars without moving the whole telescope. With the telescope set up, any little movement shakes the image and the knobs make it smoother and more precise. With the telescope set up correctly you can track a star by only turning one knob on it which makes it very easy to follow that star. Yes, you can see the rings of Saturn but you need to be away from the big cities with the light pollution to see that. The further out in the boonies you go, the more you can see. Winter nights are good in my opinion to see more stars. Think, "Clear and Cold". Summer time has a haze that impedes your view.

Thanks! I will check it out and show it to Dani. We are heading to northern Maine for a fishing trip, way out in the middle of nowhere. It’s amazing how much more of the night sky you can see when your not in the suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of what t'scope you might get, you MUST GET the Phone app called "Night Sky"! It is amazing! You point it up to the Heavens and it overlays the very constellations that you are looking at, sooooo cool!

I can see how this could easily become habit forming. I keep pretty busy with boat fishing, surf fishing, and the travel trailer. And now Mrs Ldubs is starting to book international travel as things open back up. The last thing I need is another hobby. But this is sure tempting. I need to avoid all telescope links. haha.

PS: I already downloaded the Night Sky app!

LDUBS said:
I can see how this could easily become habit forming. I keep pretty busy with boat fishing, surf fishing, and the travel trailer. And now Mrs Ldubs is starting to book international travel as things open back up. The last thing I need is another hobby. But this is sure tempting. I need to avoid all telescope links. haha.

PS: I already downloaded the Night Sky app!

Too late! You are hooked, just like the fish you are catching. You will go out and buy a telescope and be camping in the boondocks in no time.

Latest posts