Boat left in rain and won't drain.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper72

Reaction score
My 16 foot Lund Rebel sat out in a couple of heavy thunderstorms and it seems that the front half is full of water and won't drain out with the plug pulled. The boat is plowing water and won't plane. Any ideas how I might fix this problem?

Not to be a smart azz ... but the best bilge pump going is a dedicated man and a 5-gallon bucket :lol: ! Or, take a large empty laundry detergent container and cut the bottom off to make a handy scoop or bailer. Trim the boat (fuel tank, gear,etc.) to get the weight in the stern so you can get it out.

Note the V-design of some hulls does place the deepest point of the boat "at rest" about 1/3rd of the way back from the bow, which naturally ...will then collect water, then get worse as more water collects there. So like whenever I leave my own 14' deep-V tin for the week or days, I move my gear box and fuel tank back to the port rear area (where my battery already is), just ahead of the transom as I can, where the auto bilge pump also is positioned, so that is the lowest point at rest, so water will collect there and get pumped out.

If you have an electric start OB and a battery aboard, I'm surprised that you don't already have a bilge pump aboard. The self-contained Attwood 'Sahara' $40 pump with a bilge pump switch built-in is a good/reliable lower cost option (float switch is mechanical). But arguably the Johnson Pump or Marpac bilge pumps (many sizes available, in GPH) with an electronic 'field effect' automatic (no moving parts!) float switch, at $60, is an absolute BEST BUY! See: http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=6993&Category_Code=1700-1-10

I have probably installed a dozen Sarahas and two dozen or more Johnson/Marpac bilge pumps and have never replaced one. As an aside, I am usually replacing Rule pumps that no longer work ...

Attwood.jpg

Marpac.jpg

I've got my boat parked on a steep hill and it still won't drain. Can water get trapped in the front?

Should be easy enuf to diagnose. Make sure the bow is higher than the stern. If water is still pooled in the bow, then limber hole(s) are plugged somewhere. My tin boat just has shallow slots under the ribs and they quickly and easily get debris in them. I use a flexible steel ruler to slide down in and push the gunk out. Then it drains properly.

chopper72 said:
I've got my boat parked on a steep hill and it still won't drain. Can water get trapped in the front?
OK, now we have a better idea of your predicament, thank you. Yes, water can be trapped. Check the limber holes as the other posted advised. By now the foam could be staturated ... to a point. That 2-part closed cell foam is not supposed to absorb water, but if left immersed ... it can. See industry info on it below:

Is this foam water resistant?

Yes, but with the following caveat. The foams that we sell are considered closed-cell, which means that each cell that makes up the foam structure is completely closed off from surrounding cells which prevents it from acting like a sponge. It is completely safe for this foam to be in contact with water for hours/days/weeks and even months with no adverse effects. However, it should never be submerged in contact with water permanently. Over a period of years the water contact can begin to soften the foam and cause it to lose its closed-cell status. This foam is designed primarily to be used as an insurance policy in case of damage/holes that could cause a vessel to lose buoyancy. Pinhole sized openings would essentially have no effect on the foam since the amount of exposure is so minimal but you should always make repairs as soon as possible to keep the foam effectiveness as good as possible. This will be the case with all after market closed-cell polyurethane foams and even manufacturer installed foams.

Not sure how old your boat is, but sometimes that foam can get waterlogged if left out long enough. There should be a slot or hole down the center of the ribs, as mentioned these can get clogged harder to unclog if your boat has a floor. May take some fishing around with a wire or something to snake it out.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk