need Help With 2 Things....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
2 different questions here that I need some help or ideas with.

1. Transducer mounting: I've read where some of you have used 3M 5200 to glue a piece of PVC to the boat. My concern is it coming off in movement and is there any preparation that needs to be done to the boat or the PVC before it's attached?

2. This boat does not have a Livewell and I want to add one. I was thinking of adding one in the middle bench but worried about Structural support after cutting into it. Should I just add something that can be removed?

Thanks in advance.

JGibson said:
2 different questions here that I need some help or ideas with.

1. Transducer mounting: I've read where some of you have used 3M 5200 to glue a piece of PVC to the boat. My concern is it coming off in movement and is there any preparation that needs to be done to the boat or the PVC before it's attached?

2. This boat does not have a Livewell and I want to add one. I was thinking of adding one in the middle bench but worried about Structural support after cutting into it. Should I just add something that can be removed?

Thanks in advance.

I use a thick piece of plastic like you mention, even a thick cutting board has worked for me before. I screwed through the hull though from the inside and sealed with 5200, that way your mounting screws just go into the plastic and you can swap transistors at will. the 5200 will seal it and the through hull screws keep it tight and in place. I rough up the surface with some fine sand paper, wipe with mineral spirits and let dry before applying the 5200, not sure if you have to do it but it works for me.

as for your next question it will be tougher to answer without more info. what kind of boat do you have? if it's a 14-16' lund resorter type then a livewell should be able to be added fairly easily, I put mine more towards the front to even out the weight when it's full. it will require removing floatation foam so you'll need to make that up somewhere else. I made a raised deck from the front bench forward and put cubbies on either side with foam around them, worked slick.

hope this helps, others might have better info but this has worked for me

The boat is a 1999 16x48 Alumacraft. It has 2 benches and a front factory deck. Sorry I don’t have pics but I will get some. Thanks for the reply.

I 5200'd a transducer board on my boat. I ran a router bit down the back of the board to make some grooves so the adhesive had more surface area to bond to and scuffed up the rest. I got the boat down to bare aluminum, cleaned it, and then used self etching zinc chromate prime. Lightly sanded the primer, cleaned again and stuck on the board. I used a 2x10 up against the starboard to let me transfer clamping force from a set of clamps at the top of the transom as well as another set down low clamping to my trailer. Mine has held up fine a few years now. My only mistake was that I probably should have used a bit more 5200 as I'm not sure I got a full thin layer down. I'm exclusively freshwater though so I'm not worried by that.

A good alternative would to take the same starboard material and fasten it through the transom with 2 fasteners and use regular silicon to seal it. Yes you have to drill 2 holes but then you can use the starboard for all mounting going forward. With silicon it would be a lot easier to replace the starboard down the road. With either option, I'd recommend using a wider piece of starboard than you need in case you want to play with transducer location L/R and not just up/down. Also gives more real estate to mount other things like underwater lights (pretty cool for drawing in bait at night - not just for looks).

Like mentioned, modifying a bench seat depends on the boat. However, in about all designs, if you cut a square hole in the top of the bench instead of fully deleting a cross section in the middle, it should still remain really stiff laterally.

Latest posts