Bow mount trolling motor on 14' semi-V?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I'm considering a bow mount trolling motor for the boat in my sig. I've been told by a couple people I know that this style of trolling motor is overkill for this size boat. I'm looking to move weight from the stern to help the boat plane easier/better. Getting the battery and trolling motor forward would accomplish this. I would need to fabricate a deck plate to mount on.

I was hoping to see examples of 14ers with bow mounted trolling motors. There is a MinnKota PowerDrive 12v for sale near me for a decent price.

Thanks

I had a Minn Kota All Terrain on the front of my 14' Alumacraft. While it was overkill, moving the weight forward was well worth it. I also built a deck up front, mostly because that was a cable steer motor, and was very awkward to use on the boat floor with bench seats.

The Powerdrive is nice in that you can put the pedal anywhere in the boat, or get the Copilot/Ipilot add on and use the remote. However, if you do buy one, make sure it is the V2, you can no longer get replacement pedals or upgrades for the older models.

You can also fabricate a bracket and use a transom motor up front, just take the head off and spin it around 180*.

I did the same with the boat in my sig. It's the only way to go in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies! I pulled the trigger and acquired a 2021, never used, Minn Kota PowerDrive for $400. Shaft is a little long at 54" but my bow height is right at the threshold of what is recommended for 48" vs. a 54", but I can't see 6" making a huge difference. For the price, I couldn't see how I could lose.

Now to figure out mounting.

Congrats on the new TM. You got a great deal. I don't think you have to worry about the extra 6" either. And, you can always choke up if needed.

I have a PowerDrive (54") on my 18' Gregor. I like it a lot.

zuren said:
Thanks for the replies! I pulled the trigger and acquired a 2021, never used, Minn Kota PowerDrive for $400. Shaft is a little long at 54" but my bow height is right at the threshold of what is recommended for 48" vs. a 54", but I can't see 6" making a huge difference. For the price, I couldn't see how I could lose.

Now to figure out mounting.

Get the Ipilot upgrade and it'll really blow your mind.

you'll love it, with mine I just carpeted a triangle piece and attached it on the bow. the trolling motor had a plate with it you could mount to that and then remove the motor if you wanted. mine had the copilot and was a little older, but I'm guessing pretty close to yours. it was super nice to have and I could steer from anywhere in the boat.

I have the 55 lb (12v) Terrova on my Lund Fury 1400. Highly recommend this.

Attachments

• Lund_silouette.jpg
    Lund_silouette.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 210

Latest posts